Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... I went to go out and start the E60. When I got in the car every thing was working fine - lights, radio, chime, etc... When I went to crank the engine and everything turned off - EVERYTHING. Now nothing works. No sign of life at all. Its as if a main fuse blew... Anyone have any suggestions. Help...

Jay

Sorry for the short message... This is written from my BlackBerry.

·
Banned
133 Posts
One thing could be to check the wires that are connected to the battery first. It is on the right hand side behind the panel in the trunk. All you have to do is turn the two screws and pull it out then lift up the panel and pull out. I had that problem once and I checked my battery wires and the ground was a little loose. If the wires are fine and if you have a meter check the power that the battery is putting out. If it is under 12 it either needs to be charged or is no good seeing as how it is a 04. Another thing is check in the first aid kit there is a panel that displays all of the fuses. If you are up to it and the ground and power are fine check the fuses.

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing could be to check the wires that are connected to the battery first. It is on the right hand side behind the panel in the trunk. All you have to do is turn the two screws and pull it out then lift up the panel and pull out. I had that problem once and I checked my battery wires and the ground was a little loose. If the wires are fine and if you have a meter check the power that the battery is putting out. If it is under 12 it either needs to be charged or is no good seeing as how it is a 04. Another thing is check in the first aid kit there is a panel that displays all of the fuses. If you are up to it and the ground and power are fine check the fuses.

Good Luck

I will defiantly check the battery. I just replaced the battery about 3 months ago with a NON BMW batter, but with an Interstate that had the exact same Cold Crank Amps... What's really odd is I was driving the car yesterday and everything was fine. Today the wife and I were heading out for our early Valentines Day dinner. When I got in everything seemed fine. What I got when I tried to start the car was 1/2 crank and it's as if someone just decided to cut all power to the car. Just odd... In a hurry I grab the other car keys and took the Jeep. So right now it sits at home waiting. These sorts of problems just kill me. Normally I'm pretty good about figuring these things out, but not this one. Is there a main relay on the car? If so I'm wondering if that's just shot. Anyway I'll see what I get when I get down to the battery tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Jay

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Home now, and found the problem. Unfortunately when I was leaving I didn't have time to look, and posted from my Blackberry once I got to my destination. I'll say 1sikbmr was right, and it really didn't take but moving the boot around to determine this. The end result - the positive connection on the battery was lose. I did get it tightened back down, and all is normal once again. Sorry for the knee jerk reaction, but I thought something was seriously wrong.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts