BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently let my roommate drive our friend to the airport (bad idea). And he left the lights on in the car overnight. I walked up to the car to find the battery dead.

The car is locked solid and even the keys don't open the doors. I can't get in to pop the hood and jump it. Help!

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's weird that the doors won't unlock... well anyways, you can pop the hood from outside of the car. you need to pop out your grilles. Do this by applying inward pressure with the palm of your hand. This will release them, and you can pull them out. If they don't pop out then you need to hit them harder... Now that your grilles are out of the way you can reach up and in to pull on the hood release cable. You may have trouble finding it, but just keep digging around. You will need to pop the latches on both sides this way.
I've done it a number of times, and hundreds of E36 owners before me have done it, and so can you.

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
I agree with Landshark. You should be able to unlock the trunk without power at all. Once you get into the trunk, you can throw a charge on the battery, and then you should be able to get in the car once your locks work again if you don't want to puch out your grills.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well guys I had my roommate call AAA to get it open and the guy came and was tryin to get it open but for thirty minutes. he couldn't unlock it or anything. Finally we decided that the locks must have froze as well(which is strange because it never happened before this) so we warmed up a key with a lighter and then warmed up the lock with the key. So after about four hours of madness I finally got in my car and was able to jump start it. thanks guys:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts