BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have been having trouble with my cars left hand side tail light not working like it should.
Basically i found out yesterday that both grounds in the connector for the tail lights were burnt. So, no big deal i thought and I re soldered the grounds to the tail lights them selves following one of the many guides here and I thought that would fix it. The right hand side tail lights work as they should, but the left ones are acting strange.

When I blink left one of the normal lamps that is always on when driving flashes rapidly, the turn signal lamp stays off. i switched the left lamp to the right side and it works there so the bulb itself is not broken. I took out the whole lamp housing and measured it with a multimeter to see if there were any broken connections within the housing itself and there wasnt, everything seems to be in order with the actuall housing.

Then I also measured the voltage going out to the lamps when activating them in the car. I get 0.2 volts when using the turn signal for the pin connected to it. and on the other side i get 12 volts. also, there should be two lights that are always on when driving but only one of them is on for me. I have also checked all the grounds in on both sides in the housing, trunk, backseat etc and all seem to be grounded like they should be. I am really scrathing my head over this, i am not sure what to do. any suggestions are appreicated.

I guess I should add i was doing the wiring for a bass and amp and it was when i finished that i noticed this issue. however that wiring and this wiring are two completely seperate things, i dont think i would have messed anything up with the tail lights by doing the wiring for the amp. And also just the left hand side tail lights, not the right. Basically what I am thinking at this point is that the cable has broken somewhere down the line, and it will be a pain in the ass to track down, there for i am really hoping someone else has experienced something like this. thanks

I can add video/pictures if you think that would help

Edit: I messed up, i accidentally put two wires behind a nut and shorted them.. Thanks anyways! Anyone having a simular issue? check the grounds you made for you amp haha!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,280 Posts
Over the years, we have seen a few instances of wiring breaking down from opening and closing the trunk many times. Check your rear trunk harness for any signs of broken insulation, etc.

There`s a dedicated Sticky Thread for these issues, you might find more useful info there.

Good luck ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the years, we have seen a few instances of wiring breaking down from opening and closing the trunk many times. Check your rear trunk harness for any signs of broken insulation, etc.

There`s a dedicated Sticky Thread for these issues, you might find more useful info there.

Good luck ! :thumbup:
I just got back from chekcking everything once again. and guess what? when I was searching for a place to ground the amp i took out a nut and there were two tiny cables running behind it, they had fallen in behind the nut and when i tightened it down, it shortet the two wires... what an idiot move... thanks for the response but this issue is resolved!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm so glad I came across your post. I have been having the same issues with my left side taillight; sometimes it works, other times it does not. I also have an amp and 12" speakers that were put in by the previous owner. I'm wondering if my Dynavin in-dash unit going out when the amp gets hot had anything to do with the wiring as you mentioned. I'm definitely going to take a look now. Thank you for posting your recent findings for those of us who are clueless...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so glad I came across your post. I have been having the same issues with my left side taillight; sometimes it works, other times it does not. I also have an amp and 12" speakers that were put in by the previous owner. I'm wondering if my Dynavin in-dash unit going out when the amp gets hot had anything to do with the wiring as you mentioned. I'm definitely going to take a look now. Thank you for posting your recent findings for those of us who are clueless...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Bimmerfest mobile app
I am glad my stupidity could be of help haha! But have you checked your ground in the connector for the tail Light? Because mine were burnt on both sides so I decided to fix that first. And also, The reason i found the short was because when I had the key in the 2nd position i could hear this buzzing electrical sound in the trunk area. So I would check the grounds in the connector and really listen if you hear anything. Good luck! Tell me if you need any help :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts