BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a first time poster, long time reader and I have a problem with my soft top that I can't find a definitive solution for.

Basically, I've taken the hard top off of the car for the first time in a year and the stored soft top went up first time without any problems. Now when I tred to put the hood down again, nothing happens. There are no sounds, no movement, nothing!

I've checked the fuses and they are all intact. I've tried all the usual things like making sure the hood compartment in the boot is open, rolling down the windows, shutting the boot properly etc. When I push the hood down button, the red light stays on. Pushing the hood close button does nothing (no light comes on).

Any ideas? I wouldn't have thought that it would be the hydraulic pump as the hood went up without a problem?

I've read from another post found on the net that an owner had disconnected a cable whilst replacing a rear shock mount. My car has just had it's offside rear shock replaced. Could this be related?

Any help would be much appreciated - I'd rather not get ripped off by the stealers, so i'm desperate to get to the bottom of this by myself.

Thanks in advance.

Ty

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Try moving the lever that controls the box in the boot several times. The switch may be sticky from inactivity. If this does not work, you may have a broken wire in the harness that goes to the trunk, and the top thinks the trunk is open. Search forum under trunk harness for further info.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Try moving the lever that controls the box in the boot several times. The switch may be sticky from inactivity. If this does not work, you may have a broken wire in the harness that goes to the trunk, and the top thinks the trunk is open. Search forum under trunk harness for further info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply SJBimmer.

This might be a stupid question, but should that have any effect on making the hood go down? I mean the hood storage box has been down for ages (as i've had the hood stored away due to having a hard top) so surely the switch would be stuck in the open position rather than the closed? Also, the light when you press the hood down button inside the car stays constantly on (it doesn't flash) and from what i've read in the car manual, the light would flash if the hood storage box was closed? In any case, i've tried this and it doesn't fix the problem :cry:

I've also checked the wiring harness that runs from the boot lid and it's all in check!

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated :)

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Sorry for the double post! Don't know how that happened. Sometimes a switch has corroded from lack of use, and cycling it can cause it to work again. When you checked your wiring to the trunk (boot), how did you check it? It may look fine from the outside, and even when you look at each individual wire, but the wire can be broken inside the insulation. You may want to bring it to a dealer at this point, as the top (hood) module stores, and can display codes showing where to look for the problem. Storing any convertible with the top down for a long time is a bad idea, and one of the reasons I would not get a hard top. With the weather you have in England though, I can understand. If you search under convertible top on this website, there is a PDF floating around that shows all of the hall effect sensor locations, and where all of the mechanisms that operate the top are located. Did you also check under the back seat to make sure the emergency release is engaged? The details are in the owners manual. Sorry I don't have more for you, but there is a group on yahoo called BMW convertibles that you may want to join and they offer good advice. I can't link you without you joining or I would. Good luck! and please post back when solved as it may help others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries!

When I say that i've checked the cabling, I mean that i've checked the sleeving to see if it's intact. I had a problem with my trunk lock actuator and that was one of the suggestions for the culprit. So I guess that I haven't really checked it properly!!

I also haven't checked under the back seat - it was working before and I haven't touched anything down there, so do I still need to check? Or can the emergency release disengage by itself?

I'm probably going to take in into my local mechanics for a once over before I bring it into the dealers. I'm hoping to find a solution by myself before then so I'll take a look for the PDF and join the yahoo group as well.

Thanks again, I'm grateful for your help :)

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
No worries!

When I say that i've checked the cabling, I mean that i've checked the sleeving to see if it's intact. I had a problem with my trunk lock actuator and that was one of the suggestions for the culprit. So I guess that I haven't really checked it properly!!

I also haven't checked under the back seat - it was working before and I haven't touched anything down there, so do I still need to check? Or can the emergency release disengage by itself?

I'm probably going to take in into my local mechanics for a once over before I bring it into the dealers. I'm hoping to find a solution by myself before then so I'll take a look for the PDF and join the yahoo group as well.

Thanks again, I'm grateful for your help :)
tbone,

If you didn't touch anything under the seat, it should be ok. If you only looked at the sleeve for the trunk wiring, that will look ok, but the problem can be the wires inside. It is a common problem and for most people it shows up as problems with the tail lights or the license plate lights, but I have read of cases where it affected only the convertible top. It is a pain to find as you have to check continuity of all of the wires inside the sleeve individually, and they usually fail where the severe bend is where the sleeve enters the trunk area. Another thing you might want to check is the hydraulic oil level in the power unit. It is behind a cover in the trunk. it is on the drivers side in the US, but since you drive on the other side of the road, I don't know. That would be the left side as you stand behind the trunk. The reservoir is clear, and you can clearly see the fluid level. There may be a sensor in there, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is that you have a sensor or switch somewhere that is not working,or has corroded connections. You should also check all of the fuses to make sure they are all good. That is behind the glovebox, and there is a card there to tell you what each one does. The convertible top module, the "brain of the system should be behind the left rear door panel as you sit in the car. Don't know failure symptoms on those. I hope your problem is minor. I know my top will go one day too, as I use it a lot. Sorry I could not pinpoint exact problem for you! Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wooohoooo! It's fixed!

So I got the wife to take it to my fav mechanics today and they traced the problem to a loose cable in the boot (on the drivers side as you look into the boot). 10 mins of fiddling and it's working again. I'm glad it wasn't the pump or anything that required taking it to the dealer. The best thing is, they didn't charge me for fixing it (and this is why i'll always go back to them :)).

Thanks for your help. It's 21 degrees in England today so it's perfect timing really!

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Wooohoooo! It's fixed!

So I got the wife to take it to my fav mechanics today and they traced the problem to a loose cable in the boot (on the drivers side as you look into the boot). 10 mins of fiddling and it's working again. I'm glad it wasn't the pump or anything that required taking it to the dealer. The best thing is, they didn't charge me for fixing it (and this is why i'll always go back to them :)).

Thanks for your help. It's 21 degrees in England today so it's perfect timing really!
Glad you got it fixed! Keep an eye on those cables. If you have any rear lights out ect it's the first place to look after checking the fuse. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, 21 is practically a heat wave over here. We pretty much put our top down when there's any indication of sun!!

Seriously though, when it jumps from 8c to 21c in 2 days, you can sure feel the difference :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having this same problem right now! i put my top up and now when i try to put it down it only goes up to a certain point when i press the button. 8" up from the windshield.
what do you guys mean about the boot by the drivers side? thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.