BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help!; engine light

1455 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  sirstopher
Hi everyone i hope someone more educated/experienced can help me out. So i have a 2003 bmw 745li . I just went to do an oil change and tune up and when they were done the engine light turned on and it says "accelerate gently and drive slowly, avoiding high engine loads, as catalyst damage could result." then check engine soon shows up? What can this be?

Additional info: I was also told i need to replace engine water pump could this be the problem?

Help please
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Sounds like a where man has been problem. Something is not plugged in or they did something wrong. Water pump will not turn check engine light on.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App
Engine running rough??? I guess you have lots of oil in your spark plug domes- remove some coils and put something very thin to check if you have oil in there even if your coils have no oil on them. One coil covered in oil will cause misfire.
Hi everyone i hope someone more educated/experienced can help me out. So i have a 2003 bmw 745li . I just went to do an oil change and tune up and when they were done the engine light turned on and it says "accelerate gently and drive slowly, avoiding high engine loads, as catalyst damage could result." then check engine soon shows up? What can this be?

Additional info: I was also told i need to replace engine water pump could this be the problem?

Help please
replies...

Yes the engine is runnin rough. The thing that is very weird is that before we went to change the engine oil the car seemed to be fine no problems engine running fine. Right after they were finished we ran the car for about 15 miles and the car was shaking and you can hear noises then the check engine light turned on with that warning. we took the car to get it checked with the computer and the codes it gave us was P1349 and i believe it was also P1347. I guess the water pump is also leaking and also spilling all the coolant.

we will be picking up the water pump from the dealer tomorrow ($330). do you guys know if thats the cheapest we will find and how hard is it to replace? should we take it to a mechanic or is it somewhat simple?

what do you guys thing i can do for the whole car shaking the sounds and the engine light? i am very worried and want the car to be fixed ...

thanks for the quick replies.
That's simple:
New thinner oil started leaking more and finally killed 2 of your coils. Don't drive like this you might kill the cats....
Remove coils, they might be still ok, clean them up, at least it will run a little 10-20 mls, but in reality you need new cover gaskets ASAP.
It's not water pump I guess .... It might be weep hole issue;(
Yes the engine is runnin rough. The thing that is very weird is that before we went to change the engine oil the car seemed to be fine no problems engine running fine. Right after they were finished we ran the car for about 15 miles and the car was shaking and you can hear noises then the check engine light turned on with that warning. we took the car to get it checked with the computer and the codes it gave us was P1349 and i believe it was also P1347. I guess the water pump is also leaking and also spilling all the coolant.

we will be picking up the water pump from the dealer tomorrow ($330). do you guys know if thats the cheapest we will find and how hard is it to replace? should we take it to a mechanic or is it somewhat simple?

what do you guys thing i can do for the whole car shaking the sounds and the engine light? i am very worried and want the car to be fixed ...

is there a way to check which coils it is ? i went to the bmw service center and its like $1000 to service the car. Also do you guys know how hard it is to change the water pump its leaking so i have to replace it anyway. it would be even more helpful if theres a video on how to do it, ive searched on youtube and no luck. thanks guys
Cyl 3&4
But still it's 10% coils died bc of age...
90% there is oil leak in there. Remove them and check it they are dry and clean.
is there a way to check which coils it is ? i went to the bmw service center and its like $1000 to service the car. Also do you guys know how hard it is to change the water pump its leaking so i have to replace it anyway. it would be even more helpful if theres a video on how to do it, ive searched on youtube and no luck. thanks guys
If you are mechanically inclined only.

I recently changed my water pump on my 760 and it was fairly simple. The price you are about to pay the BMW stillership is over priced. I bought my water pump and other parts from Autohausaz.com. The same pump for $132.00, saving as much money as possible unless you have money to burn.:thumbup:

+1
engine running rough??? I guess you have lots of oil in your spark plug domes- remove some coils and put something very thin to check if you have oil in there even if your coils have no oil on them. One coil covered in oil will cause misfire.
Water pump will run about 190.00 for aftermarket unit. 5.5 hours to replace the pump.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.