BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot has been posted about the dreaded engine malfunction light, but my problem seems to be unique. I have a 2008 M5 (still under factory warranty) and have been getting this light every few days. When I do, the car goes into the limp home mode, making it almost undriveable. The problem is, by the time I bring it to the dealer, the problem is gone. Here's the kicker...the computer does not show any faults AT ALL!!! The dealer thinks I'm crazy because surely if this light came on and I was forced to drive in limp home mode, the computer would record a fault. But it does not! I've had it in the dealership three times now (it's there now and has been for over a week).

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The dealer says that unless they can reproduce the problem, they cannot help me at all. I'm beyond frustrated. I hope someone can help!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Take a picture when it happens

·
Registered
58 Posts
... and stop driving it immediately and have it towed to the dealer. Warranty will cover towing to boot.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Post on M5board.com .... some people there might have had the same problem.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
The dealer thinks I'm crazy because surely if this light came on and I was forced to drive in limp home mode, the computer would record a fault.

As suggested, take a picture and show it to them. It is possible that your onboard diagnostic software needs to be reloaded, or the whole DME needs same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions!
They did finally get the problem solved. It seems that is was a "sticky vacuum relay". They replaced it and it's working fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts