Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife parked car and pulled key from ignition - CAR STAYED ON?!?! Engine and all. Dealer came and picked it up. They couldn't get it to shut off at the dealer either. This sounds very EXPENSIVE. We renewed the maintanace but I don't think we renewed the warranty. Anybody experience anything like this???? HELP!

·
World Traveller Forever
1,653 Posts
Yes!

That is what is called "Ghost in the machine" syndrome.
An entity has invaded the computer and it needs to have an exorcism performed immediately!
Just kidding. That is one wierd thing to have happen to your new car. WTF?? What could that be??
Probably the contacts in the ignition have broken in the on position.
Probably not too expensive. Say $1000.00 bucks maybe..to rip apart the steering column,, or reboot the computer or ????
Damn computer controlled sh*t..
325ic a beer:drink: :beerchug: :hi: :dunno:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer says something shorted the board on the alternator. New alt with labor - $700. Still too much. Thanks for reply. Was hoping it was a service bltn or a recall problem. No such luck eh?

·
California boy in Canada
638 Posts
Alternator???? An alternator has nothing to do with your ignition or turning the vehicle off. Where do you go for service, Billy Bob's BMW?

325ic's comments are about 99.9% more plausable than an alternator problem (unless the circuit board that controls ignition is mounted inside the alternator and can't be replaced, which is extremely unlikely).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a problem like that with my 540i. The key would come out and everything but the tumbler wouldnt turn so it needed a new tumbeler. I could shut it off though because it was a manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts