BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey BF,

I was gifted a 1995 E36 318i from a friend. I received the car not running therefore I couldnt get the car smog beforehand.

She had a dead battery and a vacuum leak.

I replaced Air hose, the rubber boot and battery and she started up and had a steadily idle.

Now I have to and she wont pass. :cry:

Results

/////////// 15mph // 25mph
RPM ////// 1925 // 2148
CO (mea) 14.6 // 14.6
O2 (mea) 0.1 // 0.1
HC (max) 85 // 35
HC (mea) 114 // 28
CO (max) 0.34 // 0.33
CO (mea) 0.27 // 0.13
NO (max) 486 // 502
NO (mea) 788 // 105

After failing the Test,
I change the oil, the spark plugs, O2 sensor and dumped Seaform into the gas tank.

I just completed the Stomp Test and the results are 1222. I am going to revisit the Vacuum leak but in the meantime what are your thoughts?

Cheers!

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
Hey BF,

I was gifted a 1995 E36 318i from a friend. I received the car not running therefore I couldnt get the car smog beforehand.

She had a dead battery and a vacuum leak.

I replaced Air hose, the rubber boot and battery and she started up and had a steadily idle.

Now I have to and she wont pass. :cry:

Results

/////////// 15mph // 25mph
RPM ////// 1925 // 2148
CO (mea) 14.6 // 14.6
O2 (mea) 0.1 // 0.1
HC (max) 85 // 35
HC (mea) 114 // 28
CO (max) 0.34 // 0.33
CO (mea) 0.27 // 0.13
NO (max) 486 // 502
NO (mea) 788 // 105

After failing the Test,
I change the oil, the spark plugs, O2 sensor and dumped Seaform into the gas tank.

I just completed the Stomp Test and the results are 1222. I am going to revisit the Vacuum leak but in the meantime what are your thoughts?

Cheers!
your co2 9the first "co" you listed) is decent, as it the free o2.

double check the vac leaks, and report back.

check the o2 sensor function, and if the readings are still too high, plan on replacing the cat, which is what reduces the nox.

df

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure your cats are good and hot before testing, drive the car for an hour before, also you can try ]https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469061836&sr=8-1&keywords=guaranteed+to+pass[/URL]

·
BuckFifty
341 Posts
drive the car for 30min then show up at the station and do not turn it off. Cats should be ready for smog.
Pref do it when there are no other customers there, that way you go straight in. It worked for me for similar NO and HC figures.
But yeah you need to make sure there is no vaccum before doing this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your co2 9the first "co" you listed) is decent, as it the free o2.

double check the vac leaks, and report back.

check the o2 sensor function, and if the readings are still too high, plan on replacing the cat, which is what reduces the nox.

df
Couldnt find a leak. I still think there is a leak:cry:.. the 318 doesnt have a sweet spot when taking off in first. Unless the sweet spot is huge! :rofl: I compensate a little for a "vaccum leak".

I got a lucky break from Grandparents. :D They gave me $150 :bigpimp: to get the cat replaced by the end of last week. The oldest muffler shop in San Jose,Ca did it for $250.. I had to jump on. a 100 bucks to get tags. I couldnt resist.

If there could still be a problem, can we fix it or diagnosis it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts