BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my steering used to be great. it was nice and tight and i loved it. but i always noticed that when i turned hard id hear and feel this little click(didnt think it was normal). then one day after turning hard and hearing/feeling this click all of a sudden i had horrible steering play. its not just like a little bit of play and hard to notice, were talking making ninety degree turns on the road means i have to do damn near 270-360 degree spin on the steering wheel. this makes parking a joke, doing normal turns a work out (dont get me started on u-turns) and worst of all it makes spirited driving nearly impossible. so i figured i get around to fixing it sometime, but the the other night i heard the click again and noticed slightly more play :rolleyes:.

so i dont know what this is? could it be the steering coupler? or could it be something behind the steering wheel. (that is kinda where i hear/feel the click). if anyone has any ideas or experience with this itd be greatly appreciated because i need my tight steering back.

forgot to mention : everything in the front is new, control arms, tie rods, bushings, tires, coilovers, minus the wheel bearings which im damn sure are fine, just pretty sure its something with the steering column or the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think i'd be driving it until it was fixed...
i think its fine as long as i dont drive hard on it. because obviously it seems to be that doing a hard turn messes it up. im pretty sure its the steering column bushings or bearings but i would like to hear from someone else, maybe its something behind the steering wheel. i would just put it in the garage and take a look but to get to the steering column takes some time and i dont feel like it right now.

·
Fireballs inc.
9,256 Posts
i remember on my s12 the coupler went and it was just like this.
get that checked out if its not that you might want to look at the steering rack
good luck

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
some possibilities would include steering rack mounts, bushings, intermediate shaft play (could produce audible noise, perhaps even tangible in the steering wheel), or something in the column itself.

i would start with a look-see at the steering rack first. check the mounting points and bushings, then work your way upward. you may need someone to turn the wheel while you check it out to see what is loose.

df

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
something is not terribly wrong. the part is just old and worn out. making turning not as sharp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have to turn the wheel 270 to 360 degrees to go 90 degrees you have a terrible problem and it is unsafe to drive this car until fixed.

·
Search Button Upper Right
2,234 Posts
damn, sorry to hear this mike... Have you checked all your recent purchases... re-tourqed the coils or the fcp groton package items?...

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Even if things are new, it's possible they could have come undone. Check both the steering components *and* the new things you installed.

Also, all serious problems are just one or two worn out or broken parts. That doesn't mean they're not serious. This is a potentially very dangerous problem and you need to get it fixed ASAP for your safety and everyone else's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts