Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all!
First of all, merry Chrsitmas and happy new 2019 to everyone.

I'm learning about flashing ECUs and before damage my car I would ask some questions to understand the way to proceed.

This is my case: I've a F31 01/2014 with I-Step (shipment) from F020-13-11-504. One week ago I left the car to the dealer for whole car update, and the new I-Step is now F020-18-11-531.
All the ECUs are from original equipment, so I'm sure all are "compatible" with I-Step F020-13-11-504.

Some day after the dealer update I retrofitted a NBT unit, in place of original CHAMP2 unit. The NBT was from a donor car, manufactured at 42/2014 HW 31, with touch iDrive controller and touch ECE ECU. I've completed the retrofitting, except for Navigation wich does not work due to FSC problem, but this is another problem.

What I'd like to do is to flash NBT (and eventually TBX and ZBE3) so all the car ECUs are aligned at I-Step F020-18-11-531, the same wich dealer update the whole car some days before.

I know the procedure is using E-SYS, comfort mode, TAL-calculating, execute a calculate, then select only the desired ECUs and process with flash. So, let starts..

Start E-SYS without using the Launcher, connect via VIN (not _DIRECT), Comfort mode, TAL-Calculating

Read => Activate FA => Read SVT.. => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment): F020-13-11-504 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate. After some time I get this error. I mean it's because using "Read SVT" E-SYS will list all the actual ECUs present in the car, so also the new NBT, TBX, ZBE3 and maybe one of this ECU is incompatible with the shipment I-step I selected for the TAL calculation (maybe the ECU was not yet introduced at the time of my car build?). Is this right?

So, before start to calculate and flash the three new ECUs NBT, TBX, ZBE3 I decided to do a Calculate (only) for the originals ECUs, and double check that the TAL give me a simple response: there's nothing to update because all the ECUs are up to date (the dealer updated the whole car to latest version).

Load VO (original FA from saved XML) => Activate FA => Load SVT (original SVT from saved XML) => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment): F020-13-11-504 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate. All the ECUs tree reflects the original car equipment, in fact there's CHAMP2 (instead of NBT) and TBX is not present. However, at the end of the TAL calculation, this is the result: most of the ECUs folders are blue/red. I know that when ECUs are NOT black, there's some mismatch, and continue with flashing could be dangerous, so I stop here. But, is this calculation right or wrong? Shouldn't be all black, as I expected? All ECUs should be up to date, so why are ther blue/red?

So, back to the original target: the update of NBT ECU. I readed on some posts that to flash a "unknown" ECU you should start from the I-Step available at the ECU production date, and run a TAL calculation until the HW is black. Until it's not black you must change with the next I-level Step and repeat the calculation until you find the correct Shipment I-Step.

Try 1: NBT is from 42/2014, so I started with I-Step (shipment) of F020-14-11-500

Read => Activate FA => Read SVT.. => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment): F020-14-11-500 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate.
  • 4 folders blue/red: what they mean?
  • IHKA has yellow folder but blue label: what this mean?
  • IHKA3 has yellow folder but red label: what this mean? (I've no IHKA3 in my original SWE, only IHKA)

Try 2: switched to I-Step (shipment) of F020-15-03-500 (I jumped all the intermediate F020-14-11-* versions)

Read => Activate FA => Read SVT.. => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment):F020-15-03-500 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate.
Same result as before, but now BKOMBI has a green round arrows in the left of blue/red folder: what it means?

Try 3: switched to I-Step (shipment) of F020-15-07-500

Read => Activate FA => Read SVT.. => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment):F020-15-07-500 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate.
Same result as before, but now HU_NBT has yellow folder and blue label, and a new HU_NBT2 ECU (never seen before) appeared with red label: what it means?

Try 4: switched to I-Step (shipment) of F020-15-11-500

Read => Activate FA => Read SVT.. => Complete flash => I-Step (shipment):F020-15-11-500 => I-Step (target): F020-18-11-531 => Calculate.
Same result as before, but now ICM label is blue, while before was black: what it means?

I stop myself with I-Level search because I'm not able to understad what labels colors and folder colors mean, and I'm not really sure what the result I'm searching for.

Someone can point me out to the correct procedure I should follow if I want:
  1. in the future update all the original ECUs in my car to a new I-Step level
  2. update the new NBT, TBX, ZBE3 to the current car I-Step
  3. in the future update the new NBT, TBX, ZBE3 to a new I-Step level

I think I cannot flash the whole car in a single step, but always in two blocks: the origianal ECUs and the retrofitted ECUs, because as established on first screenshot, I cannot do a TAL calculation using the car's original I-Step shipment for the retrofitted ECUs, am I wrong?

Thanks for the help of everyone!

·
Premium Member
40,020 Posts
...I think I cannot flash the whole car in a single step, but always in two blocks: the origianal ECUs and the retrofitted ECUs, because as established on first screenshot, I cannot do a TAL calculation using the car's original I-Step shipment for the retrofitted ECUs, am I wrong?

Thanks for the help of everyone!
I replied to your same PM.

·
no fear
174 Posts
After activating FA, do not read SVT, read ECU and save it as actual SVT. Then press edit and delete every ECU except nbt, zbe and tbx.

Than calculate target SVT and TAL.

And by the way: check nbt’s part number in ETK and add every option in FA, dedicated to your nbt. If you don’t, nbt will not be flashed. And don’t forget to remove cd from dvd-drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After activating FA, do not read SVT, read ECU and save it as actual SVT. Then press edit and delete every ECU except nbt, zbe and tbx.

Than calculate target SVT and TAL.

And by the way: check nbt’s part number in ETK and add every option in FA, dedicated to your nbt. If you don’t, nbt will not be flashed. And don’t forget to remove cd from dvd-drive.
Thanks for your response KGB, as same Shawnsheridan suggested to me, I've to use "Read ECU" instead of "Read SVT", but I never tried to edit/delete ECU except NBT, ZBE, TBX. I will try tomorrow, then let you know.

Whell, my NBT has a lor of connectors in the back, DAB, wifi, camera.. so I should check all this optionals, and add them to the FA before start flashing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts