Bimmerfest BMW banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Yikes, this got toxic quickly!

Sorry for lack of updates folks, just nothing to update so far. Still waiting on the confirmed date to arrive in AZ. Shipping is open and not covered. My wife is adamant we don't shell out the extra ~$1,200 for covered shipping provided that (and I confirmed in writing) that anything that happens to the car on shipping, the freight company is 100% liable for. Given that, we'll probably just risk the open shipping and hope nothing happens. If it does, we'll get it fixed.

On the potential savings I missed out on - like I stated before, I recognize I could probably have gotten more out of the deal. In my opinion, it wasn't worth grinding away to save what would have amounted to $10-20 monthly (ultimately, insignificant) just to brag about how "I got the best deal." This car had everything I had on my list, plus some, in the right color and interior options. It was one of very few I could find that matched that description in the US, let alone for the price I was aiming for. I'm very happy with where we landed, all things considered.

If you had read the whole post, the OP is BUYING the car not leasing, and he is in Texas which based on reading of the posts about Texas, it appears to be a very unfriendly lease state. Personally I feel it is in poor judgement to come in after the deal is done and tell someone they really F'ed up the deal. I agree with the other posters based on the circumstances, timing, etc. this was a great deal for the OP which in the end is all that matters. Your situation is different and thus you do different deals. If yo feel that strongly about it , reach out to the OP directly and tell the OP exactly how they can get the deal you think he should have gotten. Publicly berating the OP to make him feel bad and you feel superior is a sign of immaturity at any age
I (frankly) don't care - I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted, timed almost perfectly with my current lease ending. I also learned a lot in the process. If he wants to call me an idiot because I didn't prolong or grind this process out even longer to save marginal cash, he can - no skin off my back. :)

And, yes, we STARTED with looking at how to get a great lease deal but backed away due to the Texas tax situation. If we could have gotten the payment down to about $600 monthly with $0 drive-off costs, I'd have pulled the trigger on the lease. I couldn't get that number there without having to pay tax up front on the lease plus fees. With zero drive-off costs at 10% off MSRP, 0.00099 MF, 61% residual, 36/10 term, the payment wasn't getting below $700. Once you start to hit about $700 a month with no equity back, I balk.

Given financing payments on the same car with minimal down (which on financing I'm open to) are within about $100-200, AND I get a tiny bit of equity back, AND I don't have to worry about things like whether taking my car for a small weekend trip will cost me later, or if any little scratch on the car is going to haunt me at turn-in... financing feels attractive. Plus the possibility of having no car payment in the future is nice, too!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
idiots here just talk nonsense instead of helping.
Indeed!

When I was in my 20's, I knew everything. As the decades have passed, I am astounded at how much less I know.

When I was in my early 20's I was driving our 2800 sedan down the coast from Montecito to Pasadena, ferrying a family friend and my father. The two of them were discussing contemporary politics and the subject of the president came up.

Eager to participate in the conversation and share my worldly wisdom with the group, I chimed in by opining that the president was an idiot.

The family friend, who had clerked for a United States Supreme Court justice many years before I was born, calmly asked me, "What makes you say the president is an idiot?" This request for particulars left me a bit flummoxed and I stammered out some sort of lame response.

The family friend then said, "Well, you're probably right. Now let me tell you why..." And he went on to describe a situation that had occurred between the Speaker of the House and the president, to which our friend had been privy. It was fascinating.

When he had finished his story, he calmly said to me, in a fatherly way, "When you make an assertion, have your facts ready."

That sage advice has served me well. I pass it on with the hopeful belief that when one is prepared to learn, the teacher arrives.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
There's a reason this board is dead, idiots here just talk nonsense instead of helping.
This board has light traffic these days as the board sponsors realize a few festers are so well versed in BMW deals that any newcomer will be expertly taken care of.:bigpimp:

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
I (frankly) don't care - I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted, timed almost perfectly with my current lease ending. I also learned a lot in the process. If he wants to call me an idiot because I didn't prolong or grind this process out even longer to save marginal cash, he can - no skin off my back. :)
BMW dynamic pricing is quiet fluid so the best deal today may not be the best/available tomorrow(or yesterday).

Given your efforts put into the car search, one usually gets a sense what is doable in local markets, esp. on a brand new car versus a demo.

It is possible Aug 1 may usher in new incentives for MY20 too, or may be not. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
BMW dynamic pricing is quiet fluid so the best deal today may not be the best/available tomorrow(or yesterday).

Given your efforts put into the car search, one usually gets a sense what is doable in local markets, esp. on a brand new car versus a demo.

It is possible Aug 1 may usher in new incentives for MY20 too, or may be not. :)
I'm going to be looking at what incentives appear on 8/1, for sure :)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
I recognize I could probably have gotten more out of the deal. In my opinion, it wasn't worth grinding away to save what would have amounted to $10-20 monthly

If he wants to call me an idiot because I didn't prolong or grind this process out even longer to save marginal cash, he can - no skin off my back. :)
First, you are definitely NOT an idiot. You got a very good deal on the exact car you wanted, and it is brandy-new, not a demo or service loaner. More importantly, you got the wife to approve; often no small feat.

You were a pleasure to chat with, had the grace to say "thank you" when folks helped you out, and didn't come on here with a pompous, self-aggrandizing show of braggadocio.

So what if you are not an incel trust fund baby like the other guy? I suspect you will have a satisfying career trajectory, and never feel the need to impress strangers on the internet that you are a French Model or a car savant.

If you want a good laugh, click on You-Know-Who's sig and read all his posts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Listen to the duck and 1968. They are right and you did a great job, learning the ins and outs, got the car you wanted and kept your wife not annoyed, no mean feat. You are now part of the group and can ignore the less mature (personality not age you can be a jerk at any age). Enjoy the ride, we will want Pics when you get it. As you learn things pass on the knowledge. Also don't know if this was mentioned if you join BMWCCA for three years up front, you might be entitled to a $500 rebate from them. It used to be yo needed to be a member for a year to qualify but I believe a three year membership (around 150) will automatically qualify if you join before final papers (self serving part now, use my number as a referral and we both might win some M school time #531707) WWW.BMWCCA.ORG

good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #229 (Edited)
One more quick update. I wrote to confirm that July incentives are locked in, especially since we haven't done final paperwork yet (just the credit app and partial deposit).

My bored browsing (spurred by my excitement about the car) led me to discovering another BMW that a sister dealership has for $1,500 more on MSRP, but has the parking package and upgraded surround. All other things the same (color, wheels, interior, packages, etc). I've read the stock sound systems on the M340i's are pretty tinny and disappointing, so I've asked the dealer if there's a possibility I can work through them but buy that car instead since we haven't finalized paperwork yet.

Wife is already good with the payment going up slightly if it means getting all of the bells and whistles I'm excited about. :D Dealership is going to check on it for me tomorrow to confirm if it's not presold already!

·
Registered
51 Posts
One more quick update. I wrote to confirm that July incentives are locked in, especially since we haven't done final paperwork yet (just the credit app and partial deposit).

My bored browsing (spurred by my excitement about the car) led me to discovering another BMW that a sister dealership has for $1,500 more on MSRP, but has the parking package and upgraded surround. All other things the same (color, wheels, interior, packages, etc). I've read the stock sound systems on the M340i's are pretty tinny and disappointing, so I've asked the dealer if there's a possibility I can work through them but buy that car instead since we haven't finalized paperwork yet.

Wife is already good with the payment going up slightly if it means getting all of the bells and whistles I'm excited about. :D Dealership is going to check on it for me tomorrow to confirm if it's not presold already!
Oh my lord, isn't this like the third car that's the exact car you wanted? What happened to "This car had everything I had on my list, plus some, in the right color and interior options. It was one of very few I could find that matched that description in the US, let alone for the price I was aiming for."? I think you have Car A.D.D. :D The wife must be thrilled! Just teasing....but stop browsing!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Oh my lord, isn't this like the third car that's the exact car you wanted? What happened to "This car had everything I had on my list, plus some, in the right color and interior options. It was one of very few I could find that matched that description in the US, let alone for the price I was aiming for."? I think you have Car A.D.D. :D The wife must be thrilled! Just teasing....but stop browsing!!
I'm stopping looking now! I had a list of things I was looking for and was surprised to find them all on one car, but just happened to find another one listed that was the same car + 2 more packages. It was impulsive of me but decided just to check. Super happy with either one! :)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
Save the money on the 2 extra packages and buy your wife some bling. Lord knows she deserves it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Great! Now I've got a John Sebastian Lovin' Spoonful earworm going on.

...Did you ever have to make up your mind?
And pick up on one and leave the other behind?
It's not often easy and not often kind.
Did you ever have to make up your mind?

Did you ever have to finally decide?
And say yes to one and let the other one ride?
There's so many changes and tears you must hide.
Did you ever have to finally decide?

This has become entertaining again, after a brief interruption wherein we were advised we are idiots and don't know what we're talking about.;)

Now, if OP can snag the latest find for the same cost as the one he officially made the deal on, well, now that would be cookin' with peanut oil for sure.

Drive the dealer crazy. It's your money and it will be your car. Drive what ya luv!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bottom line, if you like it, and in makes sense. PUT IT IN THE DRIVEWAY! I***8217;ve taken risks on older bimmers, and they were fantastic! Yes maintenance can be costly but if you find a good mechanic you can save some bread. But you***8217;re talking new with warranty. Your worries should be minimal. I***8217;m a bimmer fanatic. I***8217;ll always go bmw. Best of luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
The car made it to the States! Paperwork is being fedexed to me right now to be filled out. Once that's done and fedexed back, the car will be on its way to me. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Cool.

Review August incentives. Make sure you snag everything for which you are eligible.

And, yes, until the $ changes hands and the papers are signed, you have leverage. Don't trade it away due to New Car Smell Intoxication Anticipation. This, from the man who has.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Cool.

Review August incentives. Make sure you snag everything for which you are eligible.

And, yes, until the $ changes hands and the papers are signed, you have leverage. Don't trade it away due to New Car Smell Intoxication Anticipation. This, from the man who has.
Incentives look the same for M340i's for August.

$2,500 APR Credit.$1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate
0.90% APR financing for up to 60 months

I got all $3,500 in rebates and the 0.9%.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Incentives look the same for M340i's for August.

$2,500 APR Credit.$1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate
0.90% APR financing for up to 60 months

I got all $3,500 in rebates and the 0.9%.
Plus dealer discount.

Just don't take your eye off the ball and end up giving anything back. when your wife's not looking, go over the paperwork slowly and carefully, with a fine toothed comb.

Remember, car dealers do this work every day. We show up for batting practice once every 2-3 years. They're on their game.

Focus.

And take Quack's advice regarding bling for the Missus. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)
Plus dealer discount.

Just don't take your eye off the ball and end up giving anything back. when your wife's not looking, go over the paperwork slowly and carefully, with a fine toothed comb.

Remember, car dealers do this work every day. We show up for batting practice once every 2-3 years. They're on their game.

Focus.

And take Quack's advice regarding bling for the Missus. ;)
Yes - plus dealer discount. I double checked all the numbers on the final quote they sent over and all looks good. I'll definitely be going thoroughly through the contract once it arrives tomorrow.

edit: Looks like they "accidentally" didn't waive the advertising cost of $525 in the new quote per our agreement in writing, so I caught at least one "mistake" in the docs so far.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Looks like they "accidentally" didn't waive the advertising cost of $525 in the new quote per our agreement in writing, so I caught at least one "mistake" in the docs so far.
;)

You are well on your way to earning your official Bimmerfest Decoder Ring.

Now you got me thinkin' about that $30 they slipped past me last fall. :mad:

221 - 240 of 272 Posts