Bimmerfest BMW banner

101 - 120 of 272 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,551 Posts
The M4CS deal may have looked on paper. But not so much when you factor in the additional cost of the alimony.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
The M4CS deal may have looked on paper. But not so much when you factor in the additional cost of the alimony.
:rofl:

Also - it wasn't an M4 CS, it was an M4 fitted with the competition package, so it wouldn't have been QUITE so bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Getting close to final updates. Dealer on a brand new M340i with premium + driving assistance has offered 826 on 66 with 1.9, lowest they could do on 60 is 882. My 800 number was never realistic, and running the numbers through a loan calculator, getting down to 850 on 60 months feels like it'll be pretty tough.

I'm pushing to get the 826 down to 810 + a free window tint. That would be overall ~13% off MSRP. If they agree to that, I'll be pretty happy with the deal overall. My wife is mandating we keep this car for 7 years, so I don't mind the extra 6 months on the term :rofl: and the extra $1,600 in interest over 5 years isn't going to make me lose sleep at night.

Is it the best deal in the history of deals? No. But it's so close to my number at this point and has more packages/features than I originally was chasing, the interior is the color I want and everything. Plus, the dealer is in my hometown, so I could make it an overnight trip to see my family while dealing with the cars.

Sent a text to the sales guy. Will update once I know more!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
In SoCal there is a $2,500 APR credit on 60 month financing plus an additional $1,000 conquest/loyalty for a total of $3,500 in available credits.

It would seem to me there is much better value in paying a slightly higher monthly payment, taking 60 months at the lower APR, and, as time goes on, throwing a few extra bucks at the loan balance each month and possibly paying the car if in as few as 4~4.5 years,thus saving even more and having zero payments for the remainder of your ownership period.

Is the $882 for 60 months at the 0.9% rate?

Get all the numbers in front of you and analyze them carefully. Use a simple Excel loan payment calculator to play with possibilities, and you may find the 60 month schedule to be of substantial value.

Now, some grandfatherly advice.... If, from a financial standpoint, the difference between $826 and $882 strains the budget, then you shouldn't be buying a car for $826 or $882, because if you can't afford $900/month, you can't afford $800/month either,in my experience.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
0.90% APR financing for up to 60 months on any new 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Sedan model. Rate is available from participating dealers to very well qualified customers with excellent credit history who meet BMW Financial Services credit requirements. For example, with $0.00 down payment, a retail installment contract on a 2020 BMW M340i xDrive Sedan with MSRP of $56,000.00 may be repaid in 24 monthly installments of $2,355.27 or may be repaid in 60 monthly installments of $954.84. MSRP excludes tax, title and license. Not all customers will qualify for down payment waiver or lowest rate. Other rates and payment terms available. Subject to availability. $2,500 APR Credit is a credit against the MSRP of the vehicle purchased.$1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate is a credit against the MSRP of the loan on a M340i xDrive Sedan. $1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate available for eligible BMW Financial Services customers only. APR and credits valid through July 31, 2020. Credits may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated.

0.90% APR financing for up to 60 months on any new 2020 BMW M340i Sedan model. Rate is available from participating dealers to very well qualified customers with excellent credit history who meet BMW Financial Services credit requirements. For example, with $0.00 down payment, a retail installment contract on a 2020 BMW M340i Sedan with MSRP of $54,000.00 may be repaid in 24 monthly installments of $2,271.15 or may be repaid in 60 monthly installments of $920.74. MSRP excludes tax, title and license. Not all customers will qualify for down payment waiver or lowest rate. Other rates and payment terms available. Subject to availability. $2,500 APR Credit is a credit against the MSRP of the vehicle purchased.$1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate is a credit against the MSRP of the loan on a M340i Sedan. $1,000 Loyalty/ Conquest Certificate available for eligible BMW Financial Services customers only. APR and credits valid through July 31, 2020. Credits may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated. Qualified rate lock applicants must take delivery within 60 days of initial lock.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
The dealer that is offering 60 months at 1.9 is bumping the rate 1% (same as marking up money factor .00040). They can do 0.9 if they want to (they may have some internal policy to bump all rates, but they can likely do 0.9 if they want to).

One thing I wont do, is pay money factor / interest rate markup. Its a point of contention with me. If you have a credit score at 740 or higher, I feel one should get the base rate on something like a car. I would calculate what the difference is at 60 months at 0.9 and 60 months at 1.9 and tell the dealer trying to bump my rate "I know the base rate for this is 0.9, and I want that rate". If you must charge me 1.9 because of some internal policies, I will need an additional discount off the car itself of X,XXX which is the difference in cost to me from 0.9 and 1.9 over the life of the loan. Basically, I am not going to pay for a bumped up rate, so I would like 0.9 or a discount that equals the difference up front."

Paying marked up credit is a sore spot with me though, so I simply wont do it. as @1968 likes to say, though, eyes on the prize, as long as you get a deal you are happy with, that is the ONLY thing that matters. There is a large difference between "basic transportation" which is pretty much a "need" and "a new BMW" which definitely falls into the camp of "want", so im not a fan of "settling" much for a "want" like this.

As long as you know what you are paying for, and are happy paying it, thats all that matters.

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Let me clarify really quickly!

• They aren't bumping the interest rate on the 60 month term, that is and always have been 0.9%. The 1.9% actually is, in the fine print of the incentive financing, the interest rate at 66 months.
  • Transparently, this is fatigue from the process. Paying $50 more a month over the best deal I could possibly have gotten is probably worth my wife not murdering me because I won't stop talking to her about cars or dealerships :rofl: However, with all of your help, this is a WAY better deal than I would have gotten for myself, so I'm happy with that. I likely would have seen a $950 payment with $5000 down before tax and just tried to convince my wife to let me do it.
  • I've been looking closely at all the incentives, and have pushed on all of them (e.g. conquest). Every incentive I'm eligible for is baked in, based on the last numbers I received. The MSRP of this M340i is $61,070 and the current discounts/incentives they've applied are $6,360. And that's not even the deal I'm trying to take as I'm probably going to shave about another $1,000 off they're willing to go for it.
On the payment, I could theoretically afford a ~$1,200 a month car payment with our income and expenses. $810 vs 880 isn't significant for our budget. I'm pushing to get that number down lower in principle because my wife (who is not a car person) does NOT understand spending that much money on a car. Not that we can't afford it, not that we can't do it, but purely thinks it's stupid to spend more than (say) 600 a month on a car. She also understands how much I love cars and this is kind of one of my things, so if I can get it down lower, she's OK with me pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

• They aren't bumping the interest rate on the 60 month term, that is and always have been 0.9%. The 1.9% actually is, in the fine print of the incentive financing, the interest rate at 66 months.
  • Transparently, this is fatigue from the process. Paying $50 more a month over the best deal I could possibly have gotten is probably worth my wife not murdering me because I won't stop talking to her about cars or dealerships :rofl: However, with all of your help, this is a WAY better deal than I would have gotten for myself, so I'm happy with that. I likely would have seen a $950 payment with $5000 down before tax and just tried to convince my wife to let me do it.
  • I've been looking closely at all the incentives, and have pushed on all of them (e.g. conquest). Every incentive I'm eligible for is baked in, based on the last numbers I received. The MSRP of this M340i is $61,070 and the current discounts/incentives they've applied are $6,360. And that's not even the deal I'm trying to take as I'm probably going to shave about another $1,000 off they're willing to go for it.
On the payment, I could theoretically afford a ~$1,200 a month car payment with our income and expenses. $810 vs 880 isn't significant for our budget. I'm pushing to get that number down lower in principle because my wife (who is not a car person) does NOT understand spending that much money on a car. Not that we can't afford it, not that we can't do it, but purely thinks it's stupid to spend more than (say) 600 a month on a car. She also understands how much I love cars and this is kind of one of my things, so if I can get it down lower, she's OK with me pulling the trigger.
So, exhaustion is one of car dealers' favorite tools. Don't let fatigue with the process undo all of your hard work!

If there are $3,500 of incentives in play, and the total of all discounts, including those incentives, is $6,360, then 6,360 - 3,500 = 2,860 actual dealer discount. 4.7% dealer discount.

6.5% dealer discount = 3,970.

If you can get 6.5% off, and the $3,500 incentives, and you take 0.9% 60 month financing, and you 'splain to your wife how stunningly well you have done, then the alimony issue goes away for substantial additional lifetime savings, less fatigue, and more happiness all the way around.

Your time/your money/your deal/your car.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts

Whatever deal you decide to take now, is almost irrelevant, because, you will understand (mostly anyway) how the numbers got there. THAT is the big win on this.

Whatever you can afford, and whatever you decide to pay, as long as you understand how you got there, thats the important part.

Im sure your wife is like "just buy it already!!!! im tired of hearing about it!" lol.. So, get the one you are happy with, and numbers you are happy with, and enjoy the drive. :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Whatever deal you decide to take now, is almost irrelevant, because, you will understand (mostly anyway) how the numbers got there. THAT is the big win on this.

Whatever you can afford, and whatever you decide to pay, as long as you understand how you got there, thats the important part.

Im sure your wife is like "just buy it already!!!! im tired of hearing about it!" lol.. So, get the one you are happy with, and numbers you are happy with, and enjoy the drive. :thumbup:
This is 100% where we're at right now. My wife is OK with doing the 60 months at ~870 or 66 at $810 at this point. She just wants to stop hearing about it :rofl:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
So, exhaustion is one of car dealers' favorite tools. Don't let fatigue with the process undo all of your hard work!

If there are $3,500 of incentives in play, and the total of all discounts, including those incentives, is $6,360, then 6,360 - 3,500 = 2,860 actual dealer discount. 4.7% dealer discount.

If you can get 6.5% off, and the $3,500 incentives, and you take 0.9% 60 month financing, and you 'splain to your wife how stunningly well you have done, then the alimony issue goes away for substantial additional lifetime savings, less fatigue, and more happiness all the way around.

I absolutely 100% hear you and I know you're right. I might still be able to squeeze a bit more money out of the deal, but like I said, I'm pretty happy with where the deal is at right now. Dragging this out another week to two weeks just to save another $15-20 a month is reaching "not worth it" territory. My wife is happy and impressed with how much effort and research I've done, which I thank you and the rest of the forum for. If I hadn't been as diligent and firm on negotiating to where we are, she probably would be a lot less OK with me getting the car at all. :)

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I absolutely 100% hear you and I know you're right. I might still be able to squeeze a bit more money out of the deal, but like I said, I'm pretty happy with where the deal is at right now. Dragging this out another week to two weeks just to save another $15-20 a month is reaching "not worth it" territory. My wife is happy and impressed with how much effort and research I've done, which I thank you and the rest of the forum for. If I hadn't been as diligent and firm on negotiating to where we are, she probably would be a lot less OK with me getting the car at all. :)
Awesome! now, go get it already!

Post a pic when you get it! I always like seeing the end of stories like these. its one of the reasons I spent so long pouring over peoples deals trying to help them get into them, when I was doing that back in the day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Awesome! now, go get it already!

Post a pic when you get it! I always like seeing the end of stories like these. its one of the reasons I spent so long pouring over peoples deals trying to help them get into them, when I was doing that back in the day.
I will! The dealer is closed today. I expect I'll hear pretty quickly in the morning tomorrow about whether or not it's going to go forward. It'll be a few days after that before we manage to get the car as I'll have to drive up to Dallas and exchange the lease as well. But I will post pics ASAP!

·
Go Hawks!!!
403 Posts

Dealer discount is actually higher since they are burying early lease end costs in here. OP is paying for that whether he is the one paying IFS or not.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Dealer discount is actually higher since they are burying early lease end costs in here. OP is paying for that whether he is the one paying IFS or not.
Yep, as long as the charges for grounding the other lease are not rolled forward into this one (something OP will need to check for, and verify), it would mean the dealer is absorbing those costs. That would mean that, dealer is providing more discount than is shown, as you point out.

Thats kind of why I said OP would "mostly" know where the numbers are coming from. As long as they are not playing any funny games with grounding that lease (or OP is fully aware of what is happening with the dollars from it, anyway), it should be ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Yep, as long as the charges for grounding the other lease are not rolled forward into this one (something OP will need to check for, and verify), it would mean the dealer is absorbing those costs. That would mean that, dealer is providing more discount than is shown, as you point out.

Thats kind of why I said OP would "mostly" know where the numbers are coming from. As long as they are not playing any funny games with grounding that lease (or OP is fully aware of what is happening with the dollars from it, anyway), it should be ok.
In a nice twist of events, the dealer I'm working with on this deal is the same family of dealers as Infiniti. As it stands, the Infiniti is NOT baked into the deal, so the assumed higher discount isn't true. I was expecting to have to deal with IFS separately. My hope was I can work with Infiniti given I'm staying with the same dealer "family" on how I can get out of some of the disposition fees. I also have no idea if this is how that actually works in practice (i.e. if they would even be willing to do that).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Sorry. I must have missed the part about the Infiniti going away as part of this deal.

If that is part of the deal, then that's a great outcome.

OP needs to make sure, in writing, that no lease-end costs blow back on him, if the BMW dealer is taking the Infiniti.

If the Infiniti is going back to Infiniti for lease grounding, then there are a couple of grand in lease end costs coming out of somebody's pocket, in which case a less than 5% dealer discount on a $60K Bimmer is not great. Not bad, but not great.

·
Go Hawks!!!
403 Posts
IFS won't care about dealer they will want their dispo and damage fees. The dealer tho may decide to pay for some or part of them. You need to be aware of all moving parts in this as can get costly or put back on you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
IFS won't care about dealer they will want their dispo and damage fees. The dealer tho may decide to pay for some or part of them. You need to be aware of all moving parts in this as can get costly or put back on you.
I'll see what I can do about the dispo stuff when I talk to the dealer tomorrow.

101 - 120 of 272 Posts