BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This should probably be in the DIY forum but I'm not sure how to move it...

My weekend project today was to install the new BMW Portable Navigation Plus which is actually a Garmin nuvi 715 derivative, in my 2007 E92. Two years ago I had installed the BMW version of the nuvi 360 and it took a couple of hours and the outcome was positive. Today, it took me a lot longer (5 hours) as I methodically followed the installation note and my TIS. (The installation note says the procedure takes 1 hour!) When I reassembled the vehicle and connected the battery, the car was dead to the world. No lights, no radio key action. Nothing. I killed my beloved car. :bawling:

Here's the basic procedure that I followed:

Prior to starting my work, I disconnected the negative battery cable and isolated it.

I removed HVAC control head by releasing clips on side and left cables pluged in. I placed the HVAC control head aside.

I removed the instrument cluster and disconnected the harness.

I removed the wood trim which contains the A/C vents, the Emergency Flasher switch and the Start/Stop button. I unplugged all 3 harnesses from the back of that trim piece and laid it aside.

I unscrewed two phillips head retaining screws and slid out the radio head unit. I then disconnected the connector x13813 and the radio antenna and put the radio aside. The original navigation installation was removed from x13813 and the power and ground leads were replaced to the original condition.

I installed the new navigation bracket and associated harness.

The harness has 3 branches. One goes to the traffic receiver which threads up the A-piller (more on that later), one is routed down below the instrument cluster and the steering wheel where it connects to x13376 CAS (Car Access System) connector to get power and ground. This is a rather primitive procedure which employs a plastic splice connector on two wires (pin 25 and pin 8) which are installed on that plug. I installed the splices and then reconnect the plug to the CAS.

The third branch is not used (vehicles after 9/2007 can be wired to provide audio through the radio speakers). So it is tied back on itself and taped up.

I removed the left A-Piller cover, the left dash end-cap and the pedal panel (above brake and accelerator pedals).

The traffic reciever is plugged into the first branch of the navigation cable which is routed through the insturment cluster cavity into the A-pillar area. The antenna wire is secured to the A-piller behind the airbag with cable ties.

I carefully reassembled the vehicle in reverse order.

When I re-attached the negative battery cable, nothing would work :cry:. I checked for voltage at under the hood and do indeed get juice at the jumper point (+). :mad:

Questions: Does the car need to be re-coded after the battery is removed? Could I have damaged the CAS connector which could be the cause of my problem? Or is there some other kind of a reset that needs to happen to reinitialize the system?

If it helps, I can post the installation instructions but really they are not much clearer than what I have posted here. If I'm not able to find an answer on here before Monday, I fear that I'll have to have my disabled 328i Coupe towed into the dealer with an expensive lesson learned: Never :tsk: work on a recent model BMW. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Flyboy

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
This has got to be frustrating as hell.

My guess is that you didn't get one of the connectors plugged all the way back in. If you have the guts to try, I'd go back through the whole procedure again and check all the connections. Check each connector too. It's possible a wire may have pulled loose or an individual connector within a connector block has slipped.

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
+1. I would spend a bit of time undoing what you have done, removing the CAS splice but leaving the cables coursing about the cabin so you can reconnect it and test whether the car works...

·
Registered
287 Posts
+1. I would spend a bit of time undoing what you have done, removing the CAS splice but leaving the cables coursing about the cabin so you can reconnect it and test whether the car works...
+1

Disconnect it all and put it back to stock. But do not re-assemble any trim, covers, etc. Just put it back together enough to see if it works.

·
Registered
911 Posts
KISS it first. (Keep it simple stupid.) Disconect, re-connect battery. Does your battery indicate 12V? Do you get 12V across the terminals under hood? Check fuses. The worst you could have done is blow a fuse. Anything else would have lit up your garage.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Are you saying NOTHING works? No headlamps, interior lights, dashboard lights, nothing? If so do what x986 says and let us know what you get.
And when you say you have "juice at the jumper points", you should be getting 12.6 volts(!). A battery reading 12v is near croaked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts