BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I could use a little help from the group. I have finally found a 545i I am interested ( which will be my first 5 series ) in that is at a non-bmw dealership several states away from me. I am sure they purchased this vehicle from an auction which is ok but I want to know as much as I can before I commit to flying out to check out and purchase the car.

What I wanted help with is what type of questions or information I should find out before flying out to complete this deal. The vehicle has 9900 miles with an in-service date of May 2005. Is there anything I should look out for like the steering angle sensor issue, run flat tire tread issue etc?

How do you check out a dealership to see if it is reputable? (I think they are also advertising this on ebay but I have never bought anything through them.)

Any good recommendations on transport?

Should I schedule a complete inspection at a local bmw dealership beforehand or wait until I am present?

Any help at all would be appreciated!:thumbup:

Thaks in advance

bmwccc:bigpimp:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
bmwccc said:
Hi everyone, I could use a little help from the group. I have finally found a 545i I am interested ( which will be my first 5 series ) in that is at a non-bmw dealership several states away from me. I am sure they purchased this vehicle from an auction which is ok but I want to know as much as I can before I commit to flying out to check out and purchase the car.

What I wanted help with is what type of questions or information I should find out before flying out to complete this deal. The vehicle has 9900 miles with an in-service date of May 2005. Is there anything I should look out for like the steering angle sensor issue, run flat tire tread issue etc?

How do you check out a dealership to see if it is reputable? (I think they are also advertising this on ebay but I have never bought anything through them.)

Any good recommendations on transport?

Should I schedule a complete inspection at a local bmw dealership beforehand or wait until I am present?

Any help at all would be appreciated!:thumbup:

Thaks in advance

bmwccc:bigpimp:
I'm not an expert on these types of purchases but be sure to do the basics such as obtaining a Carfax report and understanding exactly what the warranty situation is. Are you still covered by BMW until 2009 under the original 4 year warranty? Is there any kind of CPO program through this dealership and how would that work since they aren't a BMW dealership, etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am not sure either, however, if you can get the last seven digets of the VIN number, any BMW dealer can pull the service record. I do not think that I would consider buying the car if it is not still under warranty. If the warranty is in tact, then much of the questions you ask are kind of answered. Anything seriously wrong with the car, BMW fixes. Good luck.
vz

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
Second the CarFax and the suggestion to verify the warranty. You may also want to get some quotes from BMW dealerships on extended warranty, which you can buy later. (The price can vary, so shop around).

Predelivery inspection is a must - either by the BMW dealership or at a highly-recommended local indy shop.

Make sure no flood damage, no repaint (E60 aluminum front end is almost impossible to repair properly after an accident) and no salvage title.

EDIT: If you are a bmwcca member (not sure from your sig), you may want to see if a local bmwcca member could at least eyeball the car for you in return for a nice bottle of Cali wine or other suitable "thank you" gift. It will save you the travel expenses if the car is a fright pig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts