BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 2002 BMW 330i is leaking anti freeze at a good rate. It drips about once every second or two. i have no idea what it could be! the belts on the inside squeal when i start the car up after its been sitting for a while so I think it's leaking on one/both of the belts.After i drive its not bad. I have no idea where to even start. Thanks for any help.

·
Yankee
308 Posts
Not sure of how to help - but when did you do your last cooling system overhaul? (See the wiki stickied at the top of this forum). That info would probably help more knowledgeable members of this forum help diagnose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You'll have to do the same thing we'd do if we were there. Take apart things until you see a leak.
This. ^^ Probably your tank. Radiators can start to leak at that mileage but they don't usually gush like a popped tank or hose.

Edit reading more closely I agree your leak is near the engine. Tstat , hose connects, pump

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you have coolant leaking onto the belts, that makes me suspect your water pump. But, check your bleed screw and your expansion tank first, since they are the easiest to access.

Sounds like it is time to do the complete or partial cooling system refresh. I did thermostat, water pump, expansion tank and all belts/pulleys/tensioners. Stopped all leaks and squeaks for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could be the radiator itself. Mine started leaking where the side was attached to the core and it did gush pretty good

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,956 Posts
MY 2002 BMW 330i is leaking anti freeze at a good rate. It drips about once every second or two. i have no idea what it could be! the belts on the inside squeal when i start the car up after its been sitting for a while so I think it's leaking on one/both of the belts.After i drive its not bad. I have no idea where to even start. Thanks for any help.
As others have said, pull the front end apart and start looking. How many miles on the car? What is the maintenance history? If you have a lot of miles and have never rebuilt the cooling system, just do it and your leak will likely go away in the process. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It ended up being the water pump! I called in my father and he took the thing apart and found the water pump to be all jacked up. I insisted on putting it back together so I know now how to get a good ways inside the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts