BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone could help out on an annoying clunk on my 2002 745i. When I hit the brakes sharply at any speed, I can hear and feel a thud on my front left corner of my suspension. You can visually see the tire move back an inch or two when this happens. So here is the funny part, there was a free clinic at my BMW dealer and they kind of diagnosed the problem and parts but still a little fuzzy. Here is the exact text and hoping someone could translate it into parts for me since I will be attempting to do myself. The car has 117k so I'm assuming most of the bushings etc need to be replaced.

RECOMMENDATIONS.........................................
LEFT FRONT THRUST ROD LOOSE $450
LEFT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM LOOSE $400
BOTH REAR BALL JOINTS LOOSE $700

Here is a link I have been referencing. As you can tell, I am cheap and don't want to pay thousands of dollars at the dealership.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL63&mospid=47777&btnr=31_0624&hg=31&fg=05

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would use realoem.com for the exact parts listing, but if the wheel is moving that would be a strong indication of new control arm bushings. If you are going to keep the car you may want to look at replacing them all the way around as it's only a matter of time till the rest need it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Tension strut. I had exact same problem. Fixed this about 2 months ago. When you replace it make sure you tighten the bolt that goes through the bushing when the whole weight of the car is on it and not when the car is jacked up. I achieved this buy driving my car up on ramps. You then torque the bolt down to 100lbs if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the "Tension strut with hydraulic mount, left" and I replaced them both. No more clunk but now I have a new problem..

My frontend creaks! Specifically when things heat up after driving for a while. I am assuming I need to start replacing the Wishbone? What else could this be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts