BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, yet another problem with my 97 540i. I havnt used the car in about two weeks and now the battery seems down. so yesterday i tried starting it and it would just click (slowly though). the lights work and as soon as i try to start, the lights blink and dim out. (and are running a bit dimmer than usual always now). so last night my dad tried to give my car a boost. (its located in a parking and its in the corner and has a car next to it so its inaccesible from left right and front by another car. so he tried boosting directly to the battery in the back (but he did it wrong i think, positive to positive, and negative to negativge instead of grounding it). well now the lights got brighter after he connected, and when i treid to start it still just clicked but more rapidly. (and sometimes the radio just came on automatically).

ANYWAYS so now the car still doesnt start up AND the driver side door wasnt closing. so i slammed it in and tried to lock it and now it wont open
so its stuck in an unclosed/unopen way. there is a big gap but it wont open up either. so i tried to open the door and the flashers went on very dim.. and the batteries fully died :(. now with the battery dead i cant open the other doors either and the driver door is stuck (still slightly open). how can i get the driver side door opened or closed now??

any suggestion on what i should do?

1997 540i 166k miles

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Never jump the battery, jump under the hood.

First order of business is to replace the battery, in the trunk. You can get that open with the key. As for the door, there may be damage there now. The locking mechanism isn't something to force, it can be very problematic if it's broken.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there no way to get into the car without replacing the batter? my reciept from autozone for my battery is in the dash board (had to replace it half a year ago). the battery should still be under warranty, so if i could get the paper, id be able to replace the battery for free i think.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright i fixed the door. i guess it was just stuck in the cold, i went to it this morning and the door was open =-O. but the battery is fully drained, its not possible to jump it anymore right?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If the battery is dead, it will typically stay dead. I have attempted to resuscitate comatose car batteries many times and have never been completely successful.

You can probably jump it, but expect the jump to take 5+ minutes - it's not one of those "hook it up and start" situations.

Bill

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i got the door opened, the door was prolly jammed in the cold, so it opened up today and i closed it and locked it for now so i dont get further damage. so can i jump the car from the front, or is a new battery in order

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may not need a new battery. Get it deep cycled... trickle charged.... might be ok. You killed it because you kept trying to start it. When you jump one car to the next you need to allow time for enough current to be drawn into the battery. Use a DMM to check it every so often if you want. You need to get it up in the 12V range before you can even think about it starting the engine. Also consider what kind of cables you're using. If you got some lower gauge cheapo jumper cables, less current, etc etc... longer wait time. Eh I think you get the idea. Or just go buy another battery.

IF YOUR BUY ANOTHER BATTERY MAKE SURE TO CONNECT THE POSITIVE CABLE FIRST, THEN THE NEGATIVE. Not the other way around!

·
Be american, get a bimmer
640 Posts
You may not need a new battery. Get it deep cycled... trickle charged.... might be ok. You killed it because you kept trying to start it. When you jump one car to the next you need to allow time for enough current to be drawn into the battery. Use a DMM to check it every so often if you want. You need to get it up in the 12V range before you can even think about it starting the engine. Also consider what kind of cables you're using. If you got some lower gauge cheapo jumper cables, less current, etc etc... longer wait time. Eh I think you get the idea. Or just go buy another battery.

IF YOUR BUY ANOTHER BATTERY MAKE SURE TO CONNECT THE POSITIVE CABLE FIRST, THEN THE NEGATIVE. Not the other way around!
I hope i wont be in this situation any time soon :eek:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so as a clossure, the problem is now fixed :).
Got my battery replaced (it was under warranty so just got another one xD). had my friend remove it and install it for me cuz im a complete nub when it comes to diy work on cars.

so let this stay as a future reference :) that if your car isnt starting up and clicking and the lights are still on, there is still a very good chance your battery is low. and charging/replacing will probably solve your problem :-D

on a side note.... i noticed when removing my battery, it wasnt vented using the vent pipe.. would that cause problems? when putting the new one in, i attached teh vent tube to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts