BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 E46 318i with an M43 engine. What started out as just a small leak in the radiator has turned into a nightmare!!:cry: To cut to the chase, we warped the cylinder head quite badly:thumbdwn: and opted on importing a good 2nd hand head from the UK. It was fitted and after running quite smoothly for a few mins; 5-10 we noticed steam from the exhaust and the oil had mixed with coolant and we thought to skim it some, which we did. Fixed it back on with yet another new gasket and again in the same time frame steaming exhaust and a mix of oil and coolant. :mad:It passed a pressure test. Quite a load of cash :mad:and several opinions later, a cracked block, gasket quality and torquing of head bolts were all ruled out. Any ideas what what could be wrong here?:dunno::bawling:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Emrocha4! The oil is white thick just now. I am not sure what you mean when you say "due to a higher pressure". The head clearly passed a pressure test. Maybe the block but my mechs insist the heat that would crack the block would have melted the pistons??

· Registered
80 Posts
The pressure when car is running when it builds up (higher). Well I have had my issues with my BMW lately and has not been fun. All fix now new radiator and belts. If dealer did it 1400-1500. When to a guy that only does BMW. 781.00. Still hard to pay but better then dealer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opted to buy a fresh engine. The old engine was built for the Japanese market and the replacement for South Africa. Had a few hiccups with some secondary air pump or so the mechs called it. The new engine doesn't provide for it. Perfomance was very poor until 300km then.... all of a sudden I have pure punchy power on demand! Its riding super! Thanks everyone for all the help rendered!

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Opted to buy a fresh engine. The old engine was built for the Japanese market and the replacement for South Africa. Had a few hiccups with some secondary air pump or so the mechs called it. The new engine doesn't provide for it. Perfomance was very poor until 300km then.... all of a sudden I have pure punchy power on demand! Its riding super! Thanks everyone for all the help rendered!
Did you get another similar engine, or bit different?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is slightly different in that it has no provision for a secondary air pump. A round pump thing that is in the car on the inner right side of the radiator. I don't even know what its for really

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.