BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maintenance warranty expires on 11/14/09. To extend my warranty, the dealer quoted me $2295 :(. The only problem is, my warranty would only be extended to 11/14/11. Would you guys pay this amount for a 2 years maintenance warranty? or would you just take the chance? I have 41k on my 06 650. I thank you guys in advance....:dunno:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1076&pictureid=5132

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Seems like a lot for 2-year's coverage, but I've not had experience with 6-Series cars beyond 2 years to know what service and related costs are out there. Have you shopped for comparable plans? For example, I know that GEICO now offers car maintenance plans.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you had your brakes done? I talked to the dealer here and he said that if you get your brakes done once, it's basically a wash. If you get them done twice, you're ahead of the game. I'm taking my chances right now, but will keep it in mind. You might ask your dealer to replace the brakes now under the current plan. If they do, I would skip the new plan.

On a side note, when I negotiated for my car, they quoted me $2295 for the extended maintenance. They asked an all-in price of $56k, including maintenance, so I offered $53,705 without the plan, thinking they would cut the price of the maint plan to sell it. They didn't and we went with the $53,705 number. This particular dealer seemed wedded to the $2295. Not sure about others.

The Geico plan is not a regular maintenance plan like BMW. I have that on my Audi and it's $250 per item repaired, which isn't bad considering the cost of some repairs and the low cost of the plan. I haven't used it yet (it just came off warranty), but the Audi dealer says they haven't had any problems with other customers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seems like a lot for 2-year's coverage, but I've not had experience with 6-Series cars beyond 2 years to know what service and related costs are out there. Have you shopped for comparable plans? For example, I know that GEICO now offers car maintenance plans.
Are you referring to Geico's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance? If so, this does not cover any maintenance work.

·
Who u r, u r forever....
527 Posts
My maintenance warranty expires on 11/14/09. To extend my warranty, the dealer quoted me $2295 :(. The only problem is, my warranty would only be extended to 11/14/11. Would you guys pay this amount for a 2 years maintenance warranty? or would you just take the chance? I have 41k on my 06 650. I thank you guys in advance....:dunno:

Paid about that same amount for my warranty: 10/26/09 had my Trans. pan, Gasket, and Trans. Fluid replaced. Cost was $668.90.....I paid $90.00
an example of this nature might help you decide :thumbup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will take this opportunity to solicit additional advice as well - BMW 2005 645ci convertable not CPO- just purhcases a month ago 37,000 miles

1. VOB BMW quote $2200/yr or so to extend Maintenance Warrenty which expires in 30 days. ( I will assume I qualify - but not sure)
2. I ONLY drive 6-7K a year
3. I am not exactly deep pocketed - simple unexpected repairs in excess of $1000 tend to hurt

I am asking this to soolicit general feed back on the dependability of maintenance qualifiable fixes and whether - given my low miles, it is better to take my chances - my other BMW was great after first few years I purchased (bought it with 44,000) it was the last two that hurt - so wouldnt even have applied here.

Many thanks for your feednback and candid opinion.

·
Who u r, u r forever....
527 Posts
I will take this opportunity to solicit additional advice as well - BMW 2005 645ci convertable not CPO- just purhcases a month ago 37,000 miles

1. VOB BMW quote $2200/yr or so to extend Maintenance Warrenty which expires in 30 days. ( I will assume I qualify - but not sure)
2. I ONLY drive 6-7K a year
3. I am not exactly deep pocketed - simple unexpected repairs in excess of $1000 tend to hurt

I am asking this to soolicit general feed back on the dependability of maintenance qualifiable fixes and whether - given my low miles, it is better to take my chances - my other BMW was great after first few years I purchased (bought it with 44,000) it was the last two that hurt - so wouldnt even have applied here.

Many thanks for your feednback and candid opinion.
I can certainly feel your pain here as I'm sure many of us can.....what to do, what to do???
All is well in a perfect world where things never break, but in the real world, things tend to be unpredictable. If at all possible, get the extended coverage. If SOME peace of mind cost you $2,200.00/yrly., just think of it as a wise investment..... You hope you never need it but God help you if you do and you don't have it. These cars can break your heart fast in 'out of pocket' repair cost! Good Luck my friend!!!:bigpimp:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thank all you guys for your input. I see that I really have some hard decisions to make. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but more than likely, I will just suck it up, and pay the extra money....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you as well - I guess my real question is: Are the odds high that I am going to spend in excess of $2200 between milage points 37,000-50,000 miles in maintenance costs (the amount I will travel in car in next two years)?

I will ruminate - but piece of mind may drive me to decision and as well my car will overall be long term ' healthier' as I will not hesitate to take it in itis the slightest bit in need of a looking at.

·
Greg
209 Posts
Deerfield, check the Idrive and see how many miles you have left on brakes. My 05 vert had 49K miles when I bought it and Idrive said the brakes have 16K left on the front and 24K left on the rear. My yearly miles will be about 8K per year so I may not have gotten brakes out of the plan even though it had cost over $2K. I just can't see that I will spend $2000 on maintenance over the next 2 years. Seemed like waste of $ to me. My car is a CPO car so I have 2 years of warranty left and that made it easier to pass on the maintenance plan. IMO a warranty is more valuable than a maintenance plan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thank all you guys for your input. I see that I really have some hard decisions to make. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but more than likely, I will just suck it up, and pay the extra money....
Ask them to price match. If you search this forum, there's a guy that sells warranty and he'll give you a great price on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks -

I live in the DC area so there are multiple BMW dealers in a small radius (at least 5).

NONE have called me back in three days after I left a message with the person in charge of warrenty sales after the receptionist transferred me. I was attempting to see what first offers would be provided.
Not to get off on a tanget here - but why is the sevice at BMW dealerships SO bad with everything except selling you the car ? (stupid question I know) - Every time I go to differnt dealerships in my area, it is always a mad house in service area - phones ringing off the hook, nobody to talk to, lines, etc.

If I where running a BMW service 'franchise' - my estimates indicate that this area could support double the number of outlets.

BMW service - where ever I have been or whenever I have talked to, have now suprassed the dentistas the most undesirable destinations.

·
Who u r, u r forever....
527 Posts
Thanks -

I live in the DC area so there are multiple BMW dealers in a smal radius (at least 5).

NONE have called me back in three days when I left a message with person in charge of warrenty sales after receptionist transferred me. I was attempting to see what first offers where.

Not to get off on a tanget here - bur why is sevice at BMW dealerships SO bad with everything except selling you the car ? (stupid question I know) - Every time I go to differnt dealerships in my area - it is always a mad house in service area, phones ringing off the hook, nobody to talk to, lines, etc.

If I where running a BMW service 'franchise' - my estimates indicate that this area could support double the number of outlets.

BMW service - whereever I have been or talked to have now suprassed the dentist in most desirable destinations.
Your current assesment of BMW dealerships is well founded as far as i am concerned. When i purchased my very first Bimmer back in 1991, (White M3), the service was def. better than what i receive today!!! Unfortunate for BMW dealerships, i receive my best service at other places, shops that specialize in german performance cars. Namely Bavarian Imports if you're in the Atlanta area....
Not a stupid question at all, but more like the painful truth

·
Registered
117 Posts

Check with your dealer again and have him review the expected maintenance requirements over the next two years based on your mileage habits. Chances are, you will pay much more than the $2295 you were quoted.

I have extended my maintenance agreements on my previous 6, my X3, and my M6. None of those decisions have been a dissapointment (yet). Brake changes are just one example. I had to get the fuel system cleaned as part of required maintenance at 60K on my previous 645 and that was $1600.

Good luck.

·
Banned
178 Posts
how abt this US Fidelis and General? I see them on TV every 5 mins?? very annoying....say that "Steve & Rusty sent ya"...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts