BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm still new to Bimmers. and also new to this board.

what i'm having trouble with is..which bimmer is the best for me?

it needs to be 2000-current
less than 50k miles
i'm not looking to spend more then 25K on it
I'm not going to MOD it whatsoever
Just something to work and cruise
I find myself cruising on the freeway at 80mph alot so all in all i'm not a speed demon

Whats the different b/w the 325 and the 328? i know there is about a 10 hp difference

Also which years should i try to avoid? :angel:

·
ELmO
362 Posts
lilkhmerkid4u said:
Hey guys, i'm still new to Bimmers. and also new to this board.

I find myself cruising on the freeway at 80mph alot so all in all i'm not a speed demon
:angel:
XD. BMWs like to run at 80 mph. Well, at least mine does. I am just smirking because you will go 80 but you will punch it to 100 at least once to hear the engine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
For 25K. you should be able to get a later model 330i. A good 225 HP.

Good luck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry dunno the difference.
Another thing- for $25K you can get a brand new 2005 325i as well.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
lilkhmerkid4u said:
thanks...what is the difference b/w the 325 and 328 besides the 10 hp?

and what year should i look out for?
The differences between the 2 cars is more than just motor size. The 328 is an upgraded version of the 323. The 325 did not exist the same model years as the 328i. The 323 did have a 2.5 liter engine but for marketing reasons it was labeled 323. The 328/330 comes with things that were optional in the 323/325 like on board computer, power seats, HK radio, etc.

·
Registered
766 Posts
amt7565 said:
Sorry dunno the difference.
Another thing- for $25K you can get a brand new 2005 325i as well.
If you're buying a car with a manual transmission, I would go for the new '05 325i. Reason: warranty and maintenance warranty coverage, plus lack of worries over prior maintenance or lack thereof.

If you are buying an auto, I would buy an '02 330i. The '02 onwards cars got a cosmetic facelift. BMW should still be offering very cheap financing on off-lease '02 cars along with the pre-owned extra warranty, if you can find one that you like.

If you just want a car with a nice interior that will make a nice motorway cruiser, how about a used 6-speed Acura TSX (or something similar)? Although some will disagree vociferously, buying German is unlikely to get you better reliability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would make sure to drive both a 325 and 330 before making a decision. I all comes down to personal preference and whether you think you will really use and enjoy the extra horsepower. Regardless of the posts on the board, I really don't think there is a 'right' answer between the two- there are legitimate reasons to buy either.

I bought a new 325i because i thought it was a nice value (for less than 30 equiped how i liked it) and (a) i wanted to maximise the warratny period, and (b) i like the certainty of knowing no-one had the car before me. What did you have before? Coming from an Audi 1.8t, the engine was silky-smooth and had plenty of power for me. I never drove the 330 because power corrupts and i knew i'd end up stretching for a 330.

For $25k you'll get a nice ride either way so good luck and enjoy!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
norihaga said:
If you're buying a car with a manual transmission, I would go for the new '05 325i. Reason: warranty and maintenance warranty coverage, plus lack of worries over prior maintenance or lack thereof.

If you are buying an auto, I would buy an '02 330i. The '02 onwards cars got a cosmetic facelift. BMW should still be offering very cheap financing on off-lease '02 cars along with the pre-owned extra warranty, if you can find one that you like.

If you just want a car with a nice interior that will make a nice motorway cruiser, how about a used 6-speed Acura TSX (or something similar)? Although some will disagree vociferously, buying German is unlikely to get you better reliability.
:stupid:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
lilkhmerkid4u said:
any years i should look out for? how is the 325i? power/reliablilty wise? and how much is gas normally to fill up?
Are you asking the board how much gas costs in your local area?

The gas tank is 16.6 gallons. That's about all I can tell you there. :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
lilkhmerkid4u said:
how much does it cost for you guys to fill er up?
I hit $35.00 exactly Saturday night. :dunno:

·
Registered
766 Posts
The 3.0 and the 2.5 are basically the same engine in all respects material to reliability. In other respects, the 325i is not better or worse than other E46 (1999-2005) 3-series cars. Power is just fine if you have a stick-shift, IMHO. I get BMW's claimed 20mpg city and 29 highway from my manual 3.0.

One thing that might not be obvious is that the 3.0 (in my experience) gets near-as-dammit the same MPG as the 2.5. So you will not save meaningful gas money buying a 2.5. You will likely save money on the initial purchase, which is why I suggested a leftover 2005 325i if you can actually get one for the suggested $25,000.

As far as years, I would buy '02 and above to get the benefit of the mid-life cosmetic upgrade.

lilkhmerkid4u said:
any years i should look out for? how is the 325i? power/reliablilty wise? and how much is gas normally to fill up?

·
Lurking around since 2005
1,349 Posts
as with others, i just reinforce the 330i, good car, just find the best year you can get for the money

1 - 16 of 16 Posts