BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to bimmerfest and have 1 or 2 quesitons, wondering who can help me

1: My car battery does not hold a charge for too long... it seems to keep dyin, and
ive charged it in the house with a home charger...

2: A warning comes on the dash when i started and stop the car saying "Check parking Light"... Once again, havent got a clue what it means.

3: Is There a way of disabling the curtousy lights that go on in the car when u open the door & boot? I Feel these are a waste of whats left of the power in the battery

4: Abs Light is on ever since the guy in the AA cleared the ecu memory, fuses are fine and so is the connections, anyone any ideas.

Many thanks in advance

Dpjm

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
sounds like you have a dead alternator

your rear lights are out, at least one of them. have someone turn the lights on and step on the brakes. you stand behind your car and look at which one needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I think it's more likely the battery is bad, though could still be the alternator. In any case I would first replace the battery, especially now that it has been run down several times--just one bad cell and the battery will never hold sufficient charge again. Don't know about turning off the interior lights. Lots of discussions here about ABS lights coming on. Dealer and carsoft I think can pinpoint the problem area, as it is mostly likely an abs pulse generator (also called speed sensor), which is very common, but could be something else.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I am with Waveho

On this one...remove the battery, take it to a good auto parts store, have them load test the battery. Most do it free...take it from there...I suspect Bad Battery and or poor connections...first...then alternator...but check parking lights is pretty self explanatory...put your park lights on and walk around the car...it could be just a bad connection, so after looking at them for functionality if the are operating normally then remove the covers and start cleaning the connections to the bulbs...

GL

·
Registered
102 Posts
test the alternator also after what GSXRYDER said to do..this happened to me when i first got my car and it too a while to find out..i immediately replaced the battery with a bosch battery, which lasted on its own power with no charge from the alternator for about 3-4 weeks..then one night i just got stuck..so make sure you take care of this soon..best of luck

·
Registered
765 Posts
Since everyone pretty much covered everything else I can answer the one about the interior lights. With the lights off push that center button that turns them on and hold it for about 3-5 seconds. When you push the button with them off the will come on but after holding it down they will shut back off. They won't come back on again until you push that button.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Ditto about the interior lights...I believe I read that somewhere in the owners manual....wait....yes...it's in the manual.

If you don't have one, you can download one in PDF format...you can find them at the bottom of the left column at www.e38.org/e39. If you're model year isn't listed...download the one closest to your model year. They aren't that different...you could learn how to operated everything in your car from any of the manuals...heck...you could learn everything you need to know from reading an e38 owners manual. :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ditto about the interior lights...I believe I read that somewhere in the owners manual....wait....yes...it's in the manual.

If you don't have one, you can download one in PDF format...you can find them at the bottom of the left column at www.e38.org/e39. If you're model year isn't listed...download the one closest to your model year. They aren't that different...you could learn how to operated everything in your car from any of the manuals...heck...you could learn everything you need to know from reading an e38 owners manual. :D

Yup! Exactly how I found out about that and a lot of other things. I got bored one night so I just went through it reading and reading. There is SO much stuff in there that I had no clue about haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.