BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so every time, EVERY time the car is at operating temperature, the CEL comes on and it starts to run like poop. the code is 1221 which is the oxygen sensor code. I don't get why it comes on only at idle. the sensor is new and where its suppose to be. the car will eventually get better and the light will go off but it'll do the same thing if it sits for 3 mins at a stop. give me some suggestions people! i've checked just about everything so opinions are welcome.

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
maybe the O2 sensor is actually bad :dunno: or has a fault in the cable somewhere

How are you reading the codes? isnt yours obd1? and the stomp test only works with automatics

·
Under the lift arms
13,164 Posts
Intake air temp or engine temp sensor, obviously its temp related,
So start looking at you primary singles inputs

Not your o2

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car used to be an automatic. the o2 sensor is brand new as is the temp sensors. the code is for the oxygen sensor but idk how accurate that is because of the swap

·
Under the lift arms
13,164 Posts
Then I'd go back over the wiring something is,wrong , o2's don't stop a cars from running and this goes for every obd2 vehicle

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,128 Posts
How are you reading the codes? isnt yours obd1? and the stomp test only works with automatics
Huh? The stomp tests works with either automatics or five-speeds. I have one of each and it works on both of them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then I'd go back over the wiring something is,wrong , o2's don't stop a cars from running and this goes for every obd2 vehicle

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
the o2 isnt stopping the car from running.
its simply giving me the oxgyen sensor code. the car runs rough when the code is on and i can get it to go off after a couple miles of driving. my wiring is perfect.

yes, my wiring is perfect.

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
the o2 isnt stopping the car from running.
its simply giving me the oxgyen sensor code. the car runs rough when the code is on and i can get it to go off after a couple miles of driving. my wiring is perfect.

yes, my wiring is perfect.
:rofl: Awesome.

You got the black sensor for the DME up front and the brown for the e30 behind it I hope. It honestly sounds like the car is operating perfectly normal. When the car is cold it has a default fuel map it runs and it engages the heater in the O2 circuit to heat the element for the optimal reading. After temp is reached is switches the heater off and takes readings and adapts the a/f to based on hydrocarbon count.

It's not the O2 first off, I hope those wires were not compromised and hacked back together because it IS a shielded cable and a little tough to re shield after splicing it back together.

You need to focus on your fuel and air. The reading is off when it warms up. Maybe something is expanding enough to allow air in and throw off your reading for the O2's....... Check you exhaust mani's bolts are tight, and cracks in exhaust. Otherwise you may have major phucking problems yo.
Like a cracked head.:eek:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
air leak is the only thing i could think of too. ive been looking for days for one. fixed a couple but it still does it lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts