BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car battery died last weekend and I got a jump start. After turning it off it started about 4 more time but hesitantly. On the 4th start the engine cut out and it would not restart. A jump start was not successfull. Seeing the car is a 99 540i I replaced the original BMW battery with a new one from autozone. I installed the new battery turn the key to start -nothing. Checked all fuses, relays, all accesories etc. up fine, I can even feel the relay in the EWSIII click when I turn key on and here the fuel pump when key is "ON". I need a new multimeter, but using my test light shows there is (+) power coming from both leads that go to the starter selenoid, when I turn the key to the start position. What's strange though, is that I thought one of the leads has to have (-) polarity in order to engage the selenoid. WHen I jump a (-) and (+) from the battery directly to the selinoid leads, the starter engages and engine cranks but doesn't start(even in key ON position). I don't think it's the EWS and sure hope it's not the ECU. One of those wires that go to the selinoid go to the computer the other a green and black goes in behind trhe firewall, presumably to the EWS or ignition. Can anyone help? Trying my best not to go to the stealership. (THat's my last resort) Can anyone help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good new i ended up tracking my intial problem down to a bad starter but once I put the new starter in, the car would crank but still won't start. After troubleshooting and finding out that I had no fuel or spark I remember a post taling about EWS realignment(only don by the stealership). I reluctantly towed the car in and after $190 of testing and programing they told me the car was starting again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts