BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 97 528iT, As some of you have probably read i was recently doing an amp and sub instalation in my car. When i had finished i close my boot, drove around and did a couple of things, used my boot a couple of times. and now its stuck...

What happens when i try to open it, is the motor tries to pull the trunk lid in, then out, but still remains unlocks, but wedged in there...

Is there a software rest for this?? or anything i can do to fix this??

By the way, the glass half of the trunk lid i can open fine, and works with no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I'm not too sure about the touring sedan but my reply gives your post a bump! :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:cry: anyone??:bawling:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
No clue, but if I had to make a guess, you probably need a new latch mechanism - assuming that you didn't mess up some of the wiring when you did the sound system upgrade.

I have never had any trouble with the rear door, other than the window (on my E39 and E46 Touring). And that was that the window would not stay closed, or it opened by itself while I was driving. Both times, the problem just went away by itself.

It may be time to head to your service department and get it checked by someone who knows.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To get it opened I am 99% sure there is a small lever somewhere on the inside of
the trunk you can pull.
This is what is described in the handbook for my 116, and I am sure BMW build
the same feature in your 5'

This wont fix your problem, but you will be able to open the trunk and see if anything
has fallen apart.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am having a similar problem. To open the tailgate or "boot" manually, remove the side panels for the stereo and battery. This will make space for you to open the tool kit cover. On the passenger side on the inside of the door there is a black plastic plug that you pull out. It is attached to a cord. Pull the cord to release the latch.

I have just posted a new thread asking about a fix for the locking mechanism. Is there anything that can be done short of replacement?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys i'll continue with it in the other thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts