BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I have a 2000 528I and last week my speakers randomly just stopped producing sound. The radio comes on and all the lights indicate its functional. Any suggestions?
Turn the volume knob TO THE RIGHT.

mw

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Turn the volume knob TO THE RIGHT
I gotta say, you give me the most snorts per thread!

Whenever I'm in a coffee shop, I gotta watch out whenever reading your repartee!

People look at me funnily' when I have coffee spurting out my nostrils!

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I gotta say, you give me the most snorts per thread!

Whenever I'm in a coffee shop, I gotta watch out whenever reading your repartee!

People look at me funnily' when I have coffee spurting out my nostrils!
Starbucks coffee can be hard on your nostrils...

mw

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check if the plugs for the amp in the trunk are loose or disconnected.if it is connected and ALL of the speakers aren't working then your amp is blown.Also check the amp fuses...I doubt it's the radio deck itself. Has to be something to do with the amp cause thats what produces the sound to the speakers...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also check to see if the speaker wires are shorting out the sound. I had new shocks installed on a former 530I, the speaker wire was pinched and grounded, everything worked but no sound. They thought it was the amp replaced it but still no sound. Every thing worked fine once the wire was repaired.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Does it work when you're playing CD or your cassette tape? If it does, then your amp is ok.

Don't forget to turn the volume knob to the right when testing this. ;)

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
In the trunk. I was parked in a really tight spot on a tiny parking deck so I couldn't pull up another car to jump it off under the hood.
Bummer. That's why I was asking. It seems that a few people got something screwed up after a jumpstart directly into the battery. Strange.

I always make sure not to cause any sparks (or as less as possible) when jump starting another car.

mw

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
There are 2 locations under the hood to jump car. I believe it has a protection of some sort when jumping - like a capacitor (or similar) so the high jump amperage don't mess the electronics.
Jumping from the battery, can screw up the electronics.
One last resort is to physically disconnest the battery, then shortening the 2 +/- cables. Then replace the cables onto the battery.
You might be lucky. If everything works. If not, youmight have fried something from as simple as a resistor (fuse) to as much as a board.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.