BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New member here and hoping to get some info on replacing my ignition lock cylinder. I guess first I want to make sure it needs replaced to begin with. My key just turns and turns in the ignition so I'm guessing it needs replaced?? Can anyone confirm that this problem requires the replacement of the lock cylinder? Would you happen to have instructions or pictures to walk me through the process? Thanks to anyone who can help. This is for a 98 528i

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
Make sure the key is pushed firmly into the cylinder; otherwise, it will spin. Also, try a shot of Tri-Flow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Key is definately pushed all the way in. I'm going to try the trick in your link a little later tonight Whorse and see if that works. Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, just spent about 30 min trying the paperclip trick and I can't seam to get it out. Maybe it's the operator....any other suggestions on how to remove this lock cylinder? Thanks

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Here are results from a quick /ignition switch(F3) in the bestlinks that may help:

- What to do when both your automatic steering wheel tilt and manual & automatic driver seat control fails (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & related automatic steering wheel tilt details (1) (2) (3) & what to do if your steering wheel & key cylinder locks in place (1) & signs of a failing ignition switch (1) or ring antenna (1) & the BMW TIS for when the ignition switch spins but does not engage (1) & rebuilding a failed ignition switch (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) & how to test your BMW E39 DSC steering wheel sensors (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to retrofit to a 3-spoke M-Sport steering wheel (1) (2) (3) (4) & heated steering wheel retrofits (1) & updating the life of an old steering wheel (1) & where to buy the BMW steering wheel roundel (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).

·
BMW Student
228 Posts
Hey guys! New member here and hoping to get some info on replacing my ignition lock cylinder. I guess first I want to make sure it needs replaced to begin with. My key just turns and turns in the ignition so I'm guessing it needs replaced??....
What?? Key just turns in the ignition...and does what? Does it spin? Or does it turn to a stop (normal) and the car doesnt' start. Does the dashboard light-up? More info pls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts