BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help needed on run flat tires

1741 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  asus389
my warning light went on in my 2009 BMW 328i for low pressure on all 4 tires. I was told that regular air is not accepted in these tires and I need special air. Is that correct? :(
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Regular air is fine, unless you are using nitrogen.
my warning light went on in my 2009 BMW 328i for low pressure on all 4 tires. I was told that regular air is not accepted in these tires and I need special air. Is that correct? :(
Who said that? They must be very wise - New Jersey air is heavy with industrial output in some parts; Atlantic Ocean salt laden in others.

I recommend you have Arizona air shipped in. The best air is compressed in June and January, at a high desert site near Tuscon. That region has naturally low humidity and high nitrogen content -- excellent for high performance tires.

SEARCH in this forum for the fellow who recently offered to supply same.

For my tires, I use a service wherein I import balloons blown up by air craftspeople who live in altitudes above 11,562 feet.

Now at least three people have told you absurd things regarding tires. (More seriously, some people and places use Nitrogen in tires and whether doing so for anything outside of a race car has any benefit has been argued. But even if your tires have nitrogen, it's far better to have some air in there than to have under inflated tires. )
Regular air is fine, from any source you like.
Ask the person who told you that to give you some cause they seem to be full of hot air.
Regular air is all you need..Who gave that info??
It must be the same guy that tried to get someone to send BMW and exhaust sample to see if the car was tuned correctly! :confused: :D
Do not give any business to that guy - he was trying to give you the business...and not in good way.

Angie
And while you are at it, it will soon be time to take out the summer air and install winter air! :)

As others have said, they may referring to Nitrogen, but that is not required although some people prefer it. I am not sure that BMW even installs Nitrogen on the assembly line.
The air we breathe, and the regular air we put in our tires consists of 78% nitrogen, 21 % oxygen, and 1% other gases. So, you get primarily nitrogen with regular air.
I think it is higher than 1% for the other gases here in Germany! :eek:
The air we breathe, and the regular air we put in our tires consists of 78% nitrogen, 21 % oxygen, and 1% other gases. So, you get primarily nitrogen with regular air.
At the dealer this morning dropping the wife's car for warranty brakes and other service.

Overheard an old guy talking to the SA next to me ..... all my TPMS came on this morning! ...... yes sir your tires were all a little low ..... can you add nitrogen for me? ........ sir, we don't carry nitrogen but will be glad to add air for you ....

+1 for my dealer!

BTW with the temperatures plummeting into the 40s and 50s this week in many parts of the country get ready for a rash of TPMS issues!
Yes, rhakes23.

The European Union is known for its rich inert gas content.
I think it is higher than 1% for the other gases here in Germany! :eek:
My friend is a mechanic at the dealership I go to......I asked him to fill my tires with nitrogen....he looked at me like I was retarded.....
He said he uses the same air line for regular air and nitrogen.......
Do the green caps automatically make it 100% nitrogen?? lol
For a time.

But it does put the world on notice!
My friend is a mechanic at the dealership I go to......I asked him to fill my tires with nitrogen....he looked at me like I was retarded.....
He said he uses the same air line for regular air and nitrogen.......
Do the green caps automatically make it 100% nitrogen?? lol
Your tire pressure probably dropped due to the colder temps. Just add some air to get it back up to the recommended PSI or slightly above. No big deal...
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.