Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Can anyone help me - last week I was trying to replace my oil filter housing gaskets on my 2009 X5 E70 3.0 and I have run into some trouble with the dreaded E10 torx bolt that is located at the rear of the oil filter housing just beneath the intake manifold.
After doing some research I used the e10 torx on a wobble with a couple of 1/4 inch extensions to remove the bolt however it must have been over torqued in the past and instead of the bolt coming out easily the head ended up getting stripped to the point where I cannot catch it any more with the torx. (See pic attached )
Now I am left with a dilemma of what to do to remove it.....as I am sure most of you know there is very little room to get vice grips in there let alone a drill.
My only thought is to remove the intake manifold in order to spray the bolt down with some PB blaster and then grip it with some vice grips. Or alternatively if I can get a drill in there I can use a removal tool.
Does anyone have any other recommendations or ideas?
Ideally I would prefer not to remove the intake manifold as I have never done it before but will attempt if it is my only choice. If it is my only choice does anyone have any detailed step by step instructions on how to do it on my engine or even better any good you tube videos?
I hope the above makes sense and I look forward to receiving your responses soon.
Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Did you consult https://www.newtis.info/
I'm sure the procedure is covered. It's kinda of a PITA to go through the trail all the related procedures, but it works. Fixed my non operational E46 convertible top with a $20 bowden cable, 3 hours of work, and the iPad logged into Newtis last summer. Couldn't find useful DIY info anywhere. Documented procedure with picture DIY article for those who follow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response truly appreciate it- do you mean there is a step by step for intake manifold removal or the bolt removal ?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,455 Posts
At a glance there does not appear to be a particular ***8220;remove oil filter housing***8221; procedure.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
Hi everyone,
Can anyone help me - last week I was trying to replace my oil filter housing gaskets on my 2009 X5 E70 3.0 and I have run into some trouble with the dreaded E10 torx bolt that is located at the rear of the oil filter housing just beneath the intake manifold.
After doing some research I used the e10 torx on a wobble with a couple of 1/4 inch extensions to remove the bolt however it must have been over torqued in the past and instead of the bolt coming out easily the head ended up getting stripped to the point where I cannot catch it any more with the torx. (See pic attached )
Now I am left with a dilemma of what to do to remove it.....as I am sure most of you know there is very little room to get vice grips in there let alone a drill.
My only thought is to remove the intake manifold in order to spray the bolt down with some PB blaster and then grip it with some vice grips. Or alternatively if I can get a drill in there I can use a removal tool.
Does anyone have any other recommendations or ideas?
Ideally I would prefer not to remove the intake manifold as I have never done it before but will attempt if it is my only choice. If it is my only choice does anyone have any detailed step by step instructions on how to do it on my engine or even better any good you tube videos?
I hope the above makes sense and I look forward to receiving your responses soon.
Thanks,
Alex
Looks like someone previously used a non-Torx socket on the bolt.

At this point, you have no choice but to remove the intake. But, it probably isn't as bad as you think. To get to that bolt with some vise-grips, I don't think you'll need to completely remove the intake. They say to replace the intake gaskets when removing the intake, but I've done a 2006 N52 and 2009 N52 and the intake gaskets on those were fine and completely pliable and I don't think I really needed to replace them. I'd just unbolt the intake and pull it forward enough to get the vise-grips around the bolt. You may also have luck forcing on (banging) a smaller size metric or standard box end hex wrench over the mangled bolt head. Once you break the bolt loose, it will come out with little trouble. I've done that before on mangled bolt heads.

*** NOTE ***
With the intake unbolted, make sure nothing falls into the intake ports!!! Put some paper towels in the port openings until you're ready to put it back together.

The hard part of the intake is getting it all the ay out the car. There is so much hanging off it, it is a pain. Just unbolting it and moving it a few inches isn't as hard.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Looks like someone previously used a non-Torx socket on the bolt.

At this point, you have no choice but to remove the intake. But, it probably isn't as bad as you think. To get to that bolt with some vise-grips, I don't think you'll need to completely remove the intake. They say to replace the intake gaskets when removing the intake, but I've done a 2006 N52 and 2009 N52 and the intake gaskets on those were fine and completely pliable and I don't think I really needed to replace them. I'd just unbolt the intake and pull it forward enough to get the vise-grips around the bolt. You may also have luck forcing on (banging) a smaller size metric or standard box end hex wrench over the mangled bolt head. Once you break the bolt loose, it will come out with little trouble. I've done that before on mangled bolt heads.

*** NOTE ***
With the intake unbolted, make sure nothing falls into the intake ports!!! Put some paper towels in the port openings until you're ready to put it back together.

The hard part of the intake is getting it all the ay out the car. There is so much hanging off it, it is a pain. Just unbolting it and moving it a few inches isn't as hard.
Is there no way of getting a Dremel with a disc up there and trying to create a groove that you could then use a flathead socket on? I have never done this but I have seen it done on other types of bolts.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
The OP car is an N52, the N54 is similar, but not exactly the same.

I just looked at my 2009 X5 with N52. No way to get the Dremel in there. You might get a long file in there to make it suitable for an open-end wrench, but the wrench won't have much swing.

It does look like you could remove the alternator and get it it from underneath. This is how the PCV heater recall has them replacing that part. If you do go in this way, you need to replace the alternator aluminum bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts