BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm connecting a parrot kit to my e92 (2009), I have all the required cable etc including a ignition sensor. What I need to do is splice into the 12v cable on the cig lighter as it controlled by the ignition and wire this up to the ignition sensor. I've never done this before, pretty new to BM's too. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this, what I'll need, where to run the wires, how to splice the wire etc. I want to be able to use the cig lighter still - is this even possible or will this cut power to it?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Personally, I would use a fuse tap and grab power from a switched source on the fuse panel. You can use the home link slot or the cigg lighter slot.

Or you can grab power by using a quick tap on the cigg lighter wires under the passenger side kick panel. I don't believe a 2009 has the ash tray cigg lighter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I would use a fuse tap and grab power from a switched source on the fuse panel. You can use the home link slot or the cigg lighter slot.

Or you can grab power by using a quick tap on the cigg lighter wires under the passenger side kick panel. I don't believe a 2009 has the ash tray cigg lighter.
A fuse tap actually looks like a really good idea. How would I find the right place to plug into? Is there a fuse box behind the glove compartment and if so, which one do I use?

Also, what's the quick tap, i googled but can find any info. There is a cigg lighter in the ash tray btw.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Yes behind the glovebox. There should be a fuse diagram in the door that covers access to the fuse panel. If it's not there, you should be able to Google a picture of it.

Quick tap is this. It just crimps both wires together.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes behind the glovebox. There should be a fuse diagram in the door that covers access to the fuse panel. If it's not there, you should be able to Google a picture of it.

Quick tap is this. It just crimps both wires together.
Do you know if the fuse I need to tap is a standard size fuse or mini? Also, the only fuse taps I can get my hands on tonight are actually fuses with a break out wire like this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-fuses/halfords-fuse-standard-blade-with-breakout-wire-30-amp-hfs297 would this work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I get the impression that you are wanting to hook up a Bluetooth unit which powers on and off with the ignition switch. Have you considered simply buying something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-Conne...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c45bc57d7&vxp=mtr
and plugging it into the outlet in the console storage area?

The plug itself is low profile to permit the console storage lid to remain closed all the time, the wire is thin enough gauge to pass out from the console storage even though the lid is closed, the outlet unit fits in the space between the seat and the tunnel. I use this myself, to power my GPS/traffic receiver,and to power a USB 2A dual outlet for mobile phone and other mini/micro-USB powered devices. My GPS turns on with the ignition, it goes to sleep when I power off the ignition. and it leaves the passenger footwell outlet available for my wife to plug in her mobile phone charger when we go somewhere for a weekend away.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Do you know if the fuse I need to tap is a standard size fuse or mini? Also, the only fuse taps I can get my hands on tonight are actually fuses with a break out wire like this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-fuses/halfords-fuse-standard-blade-with-breakout-wire-30-amp-hfs297 would this work?

Thanks in advance!
Yes that's fine.

But that type doesn't fuse the 2 circuits separately.

The nice thing about the fuse tap is that it fuses the new circuit individually. For handsfree, GPS, cell phone chargers, etc that require a low current draw, you only need a couple amps for protection. The OEM fuse for the cigg lighter is 20 amps I think

The one you posted just taps off the existing fuse so both circuits are protected by the same fuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts