BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last weekend I visited a nearby dealer to take a look at the new 535s. The dealer has a new 2011 535i with M sport package, convenience package, premium package, and premium package 2. Sticker is $67,900 and the dealer has offered to sell to me at invoice, which was around $62500. While invoice seems fair to me for a new car, I am concerned that there are 2012 models already on this dealer's lot. Were I to go for this deal, I would drive away with a "new" car that is already one model year old. Should I have some leverage with this dealer on price?

I like this car, as it has the options I am looking for, but I don't want to be unwise. Especially since there is a substantially identical 2012 model on the same lot (without the M package, though), for a few bucks cheaper. The fact that the 2011 does not have the idle motor kill gives the 2011 an advantage (I found the motor shut-off a bit off-putting in the 2012), but it won't be the deciding factor.

Thoughts?

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Unless you are in a rush, I would special order your car. Get the options you want and the colors you want. That, and a new model year would be worth the approximate $1000 over invoice you'll pay. That said, I think that invoice on a 2011 is fair. Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
366 Posts
If they are selling at invoice AND giving you the various incentives, you've got a good deal.
Check the BMWNA web site or Edmund's to see the available incentives.
I was $1000 over invoice on on mine 7 weeks ago, but then got Nav credit of $1730, Loyalty Incentive of $1000, Build-Out Incentive (may only be X-Drive) of $1000 and trade for my 2010 535I anywhere from $1000 to $4000 better than other dealers...Hopefully you are a member of BMW Car Club (BMWCCA) for an additional $1000 rebate after delivery; if not join for future, you must be a member for one year to qualify for rebates; WELL WORTH IT!! You get a great publication and organization for the money.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. From my review of Truecar, it appears the only incentives I may qualify for are the customer loyalty incentives, since my last car was an e46 M3. If I get invoice + the incentive, the price would be around $61, 500. I will try to offer $60-61k for the car. Like the poster above, my sense is that this dealer should be anxious to get rid of the 2011s on the lot.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
I just picked up a 2011, Sticker $61k, paid around $500 below invoice.

It is a new model that will look the same for the next 7 years. I would not fret about 2011 vs. 2012 in the end it simply does not matter.

p.s. I almost went for the M package but did not think it was worth the $6k since it does not do anything for performance or handling. This package will be a $6k depreciation hit instantly. So getting the M package and worrying about 2011 vs. 2012 does not make sense to me. :dunno:

· Registered
1,094 Posts
Didn't really focus on nav credits or holiday credits, just the bottom line. Who offered the best deal.

If you just focus on a credit you may be leaving money on the table.

· Registered
68 Posts
I purchased a 2011 535i yesterday stickered at over $63k for $53k in Houston yesterday. Not a program or demo car - she had 34 miles on the odometer. A similarly equipped 2012 had a sticker of almost $66k. I also considered a 2012 528i but the option packages on my car far exceed the 528i and the 535i, to my mind just drives better.

I also looked at leasing but the dealer markup on the BMW lease rate was where they were trying to 'get' me, along with the trade in. So I bought the BMW at the dealer and sold my trade in at Carmax.

I bought in Texas, though I reside in Arkansas, so I can offset sales tax when I get back home. In Texas you have to trade in where you purchase to get the offset. I think the Texas dealers really try and take advantage, making a significantly lower on my trade in versus what I got from Carmax.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received another phone call from the dealer looking to move the car. I apparently do not qualify for the incentives (I have not owned a BMW in the last year), so the dealer is sitting on $62.5, down from the ~68k sticker. I am concerned about the depreciation hit of the M package, but the car is otherwise exactly what I want (colors, equipment, etc). I will consider floating $500 below invoice, as mentioned by the poster above. The worse that can happen is that he says no. If he does decline, I may consider the non-M package 2012 sitting on the lot in the same colors. I need to determine whether I can love with the engine shut-off feature.

· N54
3,592 Posts
I ordered a new 2012 535i for invoice minus the nav credit so it was 1730 below invoice. That is a better deal than you are getting for a 2011 model @ invoice. I would shop around.
+1. There are two big data points for reference. One would be what you would pay for an equivalent 2012, and saving a year of depreciation. The other would be: a month ago 2011 535s were being offered at invoice, less up to ~$4700 in rebates depending on where you lived and what you qualified for. It's not like MY11s have appreciated in value since then with the extra shelf life and now near ubiquity of 2012s

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
No way you should pay any more than invoice plus $300 or $500 LESS all the applicable discounts. I believe that there is $1,000 Drive Event cash, $1,730 nav credit. There is also loyalty which apparently you do not qualify for.

If you're paying straight invoice you're getting a raw deal.

· Registered
175 Posts
how much is that one model year worth in the future. let's say in 3 yrs you were to seel the car and there was a 2011 vs 2012 for sale and they both had same options. How much more is the 2012 worth? If I were the used car buyer I'd prefer the 2012 mainly to avoid buying the first model year of a new design/build. And might be worth $1500-$2000 to me.

· Registered
327 Posts
I just brought mine 2011 535i today.
MSRP at $57800, I brought it at $49000 with all the BMW incentives and loyality.
Around $9k under MSRP is a pretty good deal. :)

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which incentives did you get? I thought the 2011s were light on BMW incentives except for loyalty? It appears the nav only applies to 2012s? I'm still working my dealer. The end result may be that I skip the M package 2011 and get the sport-package-only 2012 for less money.

· Registered
327 Posts
Which incentives did you get? I thought the 2011s were light on BMW incentives except for loyalty? It appears the nav only applies to 2012s? I'm still working my dealer. The end result may be that I skip the M package 2011 and get the sport-package-only 2012 for less money.
I got the navi credit and loyalty for my 2011.
That is $1750+$1000 dollars off.
They do apply to 2011 only the drive off credit does not apply.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
Looks like good deals being had all around on 5 series.

I wonder if the 3 series pricing is just as aggressive or if potential 3 series buyers know they can get a comparably equipped 5 series for less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.