BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help! No Power to Fuel Pump

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mnewman949 
#1 ·
Hello,

My 1st post and it should be a doozie... I just bought a 1979 528i which had been running fine until yesterday. I have put about 150 miles on the car with no problems. I tried to start the car yesterday about 30 mins after lunch and it wouldn’t fire up. Determined it was getting spark and gave it a couple of shots of carb cleaner in throttle body and it would try to start. checked for power at pre-fuel pump and confirmed. checked for power at Main fuel pump and had no power. I jump the main fuel pump and fuel pump energized fine.

So I am scratching my head looking over the wiring in engine compartment (had the key in on position) and all the sudden I hear the fuel pump engage, I turn the engine over and it fired right up and kept on running. I turned the car off and it would not start again.

From what I understand the fuel pump relay receives input from starter solenoid energizes and from there the ECM takes over input and delivers power to main fuel pump.

I can’t find the fuel pump relay anywhere.... Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have a feeling it may have a cold solder or bad connection since its intermitted.

PLEASE HELP! :mad:

Thanks from CA

Mike

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.