BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi BMW guys I am currently looking at a 1989 BMW 325, I need an honest opinion on the miles. I really don't know if its too much because I drive a land cruiser that I really need to replace and that has 350,000 miles on it so I'm used to it. Would you guys say 236,000 miles is too much or should I still buy? I need to know by Sunday so anything will be great!!

·
Something Original Here
155 Posts
Sounds like a lot of miles. My 87 325i had under 100K and I was slaving on it just about every weekend. If you get one with 236K, you better be paying around a grand, know how to work on cars, and have another couple Gs ready to pay for parts.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
236K miles does seem high, however, maybe a lot of the parts that typically fail have already been replaced.
Can you get more details on the work done on the car over the last 15-20 years?
How much?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There asking 1000, my friend got it from a guy that would've done anything to it if anything was done so I can ask my friend to ask the guy, so I have no idea. The body has been kept in great condition, interior as well. I just don't want to throw a 700 to grand away on a car that wont be worth it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you guys kidding? 236K on an M20 is nothing. It sounds like it's been cared for esp if the body and int are in good condition. Clean E30's are appreciating a great deal now. Get it! You can't go wrong if there's nothing seriously wrong with it. You can sell a clean car without an engine for 2K these days. Mechanicals are still cheap, it's all the int and ext tidbits that add up to make it perfect. I'll buy it if you wont. Seriously, PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also another question is this generation of BMW reliable? I know it will need work now and then but not like every other week. I am trying to post some pictures.

Attachments

·
Something Original Here
155 Posts
For a grand or less, if it's running and not overheating, looks like a good deal. How long has your friend had it, and what has he done (or had done) for sure?

I bought my 87 325i with 95K on it back in '01. It sat for a year and was neglected by the original owner, but still ran and drove OK. I didn't slave on it every weekend because something would break every week, it was more of a daily driven work in progress. I have replaced the fuel pump, entire cooling system, steering, just about every rubber part (including the rear main seal), most of the suspension, and that's just off the top of my head. I'm not trying to scare you off the car, I'm just letting you know how a 95K E30 could need a lot of work despite the low miles, so imagine one with 236K that's been neglected. But, if I could go back to 2001 and buy a $300 E30 with 236K but well cared for that needed none of the work I had to do on mine, and go to parties and enjoy teenagehood instead of turning wrenches, would I do it? Hmmmmmmm...

Are you guys kidding? 236K on an M20 is nothing. It sounds like it's been cared for esp if the body and int are in good condition.
236K on an M20 is nothing with proper maintenance (fixed). It sounds like it was cared for by the owner who had it before the seller (fixed again). If the seller bought the car with 200K miles and neglected it ever since, there may be serious problems just down the road.

·
Registered
385 Posts
In general the E30 325i is a very reliable car and will very unlikely leave you stranded, unless you neglect the obvious. The main maint points over a Jap import would be the the 60K mi interval timing belt and valve adjustment. Other than that, the typical, powersteering seems to always leak and go bad.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. If you don't care about perfection and don't mind a little leak here and there, the E30 is a good choice for reliability. If you like perfection, it'll cost you to find or restore one as they are aging and appreciating quick. What else can you get for that price? You don't have much to loose if it all looks and sounds good even if you decide to scrap it, should you decides it's not worth the cost of the repair. in other words you can try to run it to the ground and still not pay much as the car dies of something. On the other hand if you want to do all you can to make it last, you'll be spending the same kind of money as you would any other used car with that mileage. Without prior history, plan on, at the very least flushing/changing all the fluids, and that's not trival in effort and cost.

Does this car have a manual transmission? Automatics don't seem to last as long and not worth as much.

based on the photos, it seems the color is/was Bronzit, unfortunately one of the least desireable colors and it looks to have been painted since the color is more gold than silver. the front air dam is bent and the lip is missing, but all that is cosmetic. Make sure it didn't have serious body damage and signs of leaks in the interior. Looks to be in respectable condition. How's the interior? Any signs of wear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a five speed manual, interior is clean except for a minor crack on the dashboard, no rust( which is surprising since I live in a coastal town with a bay to the south and a ocean to the west).

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.