BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Help on buying a 2016 bmw 535i xdrive

709 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  The Wog
Hi guys,
I’m new to bmws and I’m thinking of getting a 2016 bmw 535i xdrive with 92k km or 58k miles
Any hints or tips or things I should look out for or do once I get it.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Take an OBD Scanner and scan for any codes as you would any other car.

Besides that you can expect to replace the typical N55 stuff. Check and replace the below:
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Oh okay, got it thank you so much, is there any other things I should look at replacing and any estimate on price?
Take an OBD Scanner and scan for any codes as you would any other car. Besides that you can expect to replace the typical N55 stuff. Check and replace the below: Oil Filter Housing Gasket Valve cover gasket Oil pan gasket
If it was me, I would most definitely check for oil leaks in these three areas. Although, i would not go out of my way to replace them immediately if they are still good.
Emphasize on checking the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) [it's right on top] as it seems to be a known common leak point and potentially very harmful if not corrected (oil can leak onto the serpentine belt and possibly cause a very ugly failure)

Scanning for codes (BMW specific reader) is an absolutely excellent idea or even arrange to take the car in to a mechanic for a Pre Purchase Inspection.

@50k miles the N55 is due for new spark plugs and ZF recommends servicing the transmission around this time (New Filter/Pan along with dump & fill tranny oil)
The Tranny service can be a bit spendy if not DIY.
I would recommend changing out the front & rear differential fluid as well.

As with any used car, I would recommend planning on changing out ALL the fluids & filters (especially when previous service & maintenance history is unkown).
Fluids - Engine Oil, Coolant, Brake, Tranny, Differentials, Power Steering (I think yours is electronic tho)
Filters - Engine Air, Engine Oil, Cabin

If the car has Comfort Access, check ALL four handles to see if they work as intended (lock & unlock by touch) as these are known failures too.
My 2015 535i had a bad handle on Passenger Rear that I did not discover until after purchase.

For me, as I near 80k miles, I plan on replacing coolant system components (Pump, Thermostat, Hoses, Expansion tank, & Mickey Mouse Flange).
I'll also be replacing the serpentine belt and tensioners too around this time.

Your battery should be fine. 7 to 9 years(ish) seems to be the lifespan.

Hope that helps!
Besides that you can expect to replace the typical N55 stuff. Check and replace the below:
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Thank you bro, that was very very helpful and I will consider all these for sure! I guess this goes for the 335i at the time as well as they seemed to have the same engines.
If it was me, I would most definitely check for oil leaks in these three areas. Although, i would not go out of my way to replace them immediately if they are still good.
Emphasize on checking the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) [it's right on top] as it seems to be a known common leak point and potentially very harmful if not corrected (oil can leak onto the serpentine belt and possibly cause a very ugly failure)

Scanning for codes (BMW specific reader) is an absolutely excellent idea or even arrange to take the car in to a mechanic for a Pre Purchase Inspection.

@50k miles the N55 is due for new spark plugs and ZF recommends servicing the transmission around this time (New Filter/Pan along with dump & fill tranny oil)

As with any used car, I would recommend planning on changing out ALL the fluids & filters (especially when previous service & maintenance history is unkown).
Fluids - Engine Oil, Coolant, Brake, Tranny, Differentials, Power Steering (I think yours is electronic tho)

If the car has Comfort Access, check ALL four handles to see if they work as intended (lock & unlock by touch) as these are known failures too.
My 2015 535i had a bad handle on Passenger Rear that I did not discover until after purchase.

For me, as I near 80k miles, I plan on replacing coolant system components (Pump, Thermostat, Hoses, Expansion tank, & Mickey Mouse Flange).

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!
Check AND replace??

Admittedly, I'm one of the "pour in more oil" people after decades of driving bombs. I'm not sure I would ever do a sump gasket unless it got to the point where I couldn't wash it 300m from my RWC inspection and pass.

But why would you pre-emptively replace gaskets ever?
Take an OBD Scanner and scan for any codes as you would any other car.

Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
1 - 7 of 7 Posts