BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- For the last 5 months or so I had problem with vibration and Vac leak I had on my 97e39 528.
I have finally found the symtoms for the problem... "CCV vent" if I covered the vent with my finger, it stops the vibration and engine runs fine. Also I don't hear any vac leak sound. So someone told me this is the one I need to replace.
My thought... Why can I just covered the vent with tape or something and fixed the problem.
Question?
1. What will happen if I covered the vent? Other than replacing the CCV
2. Will this damage the Oil and gas mixture?:dunno::dunno:

Please let me know

Thanks

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
It would probably work, I personally like to fix problems with new parts so I don't have stuff being held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Just replace it, it's not too expensive or difficult.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I just did mine about 3 months ago. I was burning some oil and narrowed down the problem to the ccv. I personally would just replace the whole thing with a new one. They are literally only like 70 bucks. If the vent has gone, the ccv is probably old enough where it should just be replaced. Just my $.02. They are also very easy to replace. The only frustrating thing is that there is very little space between the firewall and the block to slip your hands in. At least thats the case with the 540i.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Oh, I see that the 528's ccv is a bit different. I just looked it up. It was 45 bucks, but doesn't look like it installs the same as the 540i. Should still be a piece of cake though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay I will replace it... Where did you see it for $45? Stealers here in Boulder are telling me it's $85

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Sorry, the one I saw for $45 was for the 98's and on. 85 from the dealer is not a bad price. Every site I looked on wanted 80 for your year and model. So that price sounds about right.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered from OEMBEAMERPARTS
cost $ 76 total and the part is completly different from 98 and up...
Stealers will cost me $85 + tax = $ 92... I think I got a good deal on this... now I can pick up a 12pak of beer :thumbup:
I will try to do a good picture DIY if I can and post. Without getting too drunk!!! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts