BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got an iPod interface kit for my 2003 330i last week. I then spent couple of days surfing the net to get the installation information. Of couse, bimmerfest help a lot and my confidence level raised quickly.
Yesterday, I started the project. Thanks for the clear installation information posted in bimmerfest, I didn't ensounter too much trouble to put everything together. The removal of center vent is the only thing that I have to spend extra time than I expected. After I checked again to make sure everything was properly done before I put the glove box and trim back, I decided to hook up the battery just to see if the audio system could function well.
Then the thing went bad, the audio (CD53) didn't power on, no light and all indicators went off. Just like there's no power get into the unit. I disconnected the connector hardness and used a multimeter to measure the voltage, pins 5 and 7 showed a healthy 12V DC. I also checked all fuses and I didn't anything wrong.
Does anyone experience the same thing? The other thing I find was that the original CD changer in the truck doesn't function normal either. I can't eject the magazine just like there's no power to the unit.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

RT,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further investation and thanks to my friends that allow me to use his 320i as the reference, I found that the pin 9 is the problem. I should get 12V measured on pin 9, but I got 0V from my connector. That leads me to believe that there must be some burnt fuses due to the pin short along the process.
I checked the fuse box and find the "cigarette lighter" fuse was burnt. I replace the fuse and measure the voltage on pin 9 and I got 12V reading. Of course the cd changer in the trunk start functioning since the power had been restored. I'll proceed the rest of the iPod installation tonight and hopefully everything will be fine.
Now the question is that why the "cigarette light fuse" has something to do with the audio system?

RT,

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
suk111 said:
Now the question is that why the "cigarette light fuse" has something to do with the audio system?

RT,
Check the fuses distribution list, the card in the fuse box (glove box) where the fuses are listed and numbered, and see if the same fuse # is shared by the audio system. This card is included in the USA BMW, you should have a card like that in your fuse box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts