BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post on how you can open all your windows by pressing and holding the unlock button, and how euro model cars can have their windows closed by holding the unlock button and pressing the lock button three times. Well, the open window function works, of course the close window function doesn't work. I shouldn't have tried it out because now that masterkey won't unlock/lock car. :crying:

My other masterkey works though. Any solutions to my situation? I think I have to re-initialize the masterkey. What's the sequence? And do I need to re-initialize the other key even though it works?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
Your battery could be low...

These keys have a battery inside them. It gets recharged when you drive. So if you're fooling around with your spare master key, and it
hasn't been used to drive in a long time, the battery could be low now. So go drive! ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was the main masterkey that i was playing with and i just drove for 5 hours and the key still doesn't work.:cry:

·
Vegan, not Romulan
12,826 Posts
Magna said:
it was the main masterkey that i was playing with and i just drove for 5 hours and the key still doesn't work.:cry:
Magna, it sounds like you might have de-programmed your master key. Here's what I found for re-programming your key:

you'll need both keys. sit in the car with all doors closed. With first key, turn ignition to run position then off and remove from ignition. then step 2. press and hold the unlock button of first key. Then while still holding the unlock button - press and release the lock button 3 times. Now release the unlock button. If initialization was successful the doors will lock and unlock. Next repeat step 2 with additional keys (it is not necessary to put additional keys in the ignition as u did the first one). For purposes of car key memory, the keys are numbered in the order you initialize them in. So the first is key 1 and the second key 2. You have about ten seconds between steps, which is plenty of time.

This tip is courtesy of 76er from Bimmer.org. Hope it works for you.

Credits:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/forum.php?postid=611405&page=1

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed the directions, but now both keys don't work?!?! I read in a Bentley Service Manual, that you are supposed to hold the lock button and press the unlock button 3 times. That didn't work either. In any case, I think the Bentley manual is wrong since 3 other people from various boards say to hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. I tried the sequence in position 1 and position 2 (the position just before starting the car), and still nothing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like you are going to have to make a trip to the dealer. Just be thankful you are not in the NYC Metro area. If you were, you might have to wait up to 6 weeks for an appt.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success! Both keys work now!

Well, I went to the dealer and the shop foreman comes out and trys to walk me through it. Still doesn't work. He gets into the car and does it and the keys work! He has me do it and this time I am able to initialize the keys. I don't know why when I did it yesterday, it didn't work. Does the order matter? The only difference between yesterday and today is that today the driver's window was open. The Bentley Service Manual is incorrect stating that you hold the roundel while pressing the unlock button 3 times (it's the other way around).

A day or two without the remote key functions working was a bit of a hassle. I can't believe how spoiled I am with the remote features.

Thanks everybody for helping me out and resolving my little problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts