The code shows and disappear every couple days
It's been happening for about 4 months
No other codes right now
The car runs and drive smooth and idles fine
I'm getting terrible gas mileage around 16 combined
Here's what i did/replaced so far:
New fuel filter/pressure regulator
New cam shaft position sensor
New pre/post cats o2 sensors (all 4 of them)
New spark plugs
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned ICV
Swapped injectors 123-456
Btw I had other codes before so i did all that to element them, they all gone now expect for p1093
I can't think of anything else to do, any ideas?

·
Under the lift arms
13,086 Posts
Thats a good one Hockeytowner, mostly because our cars suffer from brittle plastic syndrome .(which leed to to much air,*air from everywhere) that came from the late 90's and early 2000. the tech for polymers and plastic is way way different.

Id go for the lower end timing, crank position or pick up for that circuit back work that line make sure your solid on the lower end then revisit the top end

you already replaced all the other stuff that could have went wrong with this type of timing error...

you rich... so your dumping fuel prematurely

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
You may have a leaky injector on bank 2.

Have you measured the fuel pressure? It s/b circa 50 psi.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a good one Hockeytowner, mostly because our cars suffer from brittle plastic syndrome .(which leed to to much air,*air from everywhere) that came from the late 90's and early 2000. the tech for polymers and plastic is way way different.

Id go for the lower end timing, crank position or pick up for that circuit back work that line make sure your solid on the lower end then revisit the top end

you already replaced all the other stuff that could have went wrong with this type of timing error...

you rich... so your dumping fuel prematurely
Can you explain little bit more please, I'm not familiar with any kind of timing

·
Under the lift arms
13,086 Posts
Look at the crank position sensor and the circuit for that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fuel trim too rich actually means the engine is running too lean and the DME tries to enrich the mixture but reaches it's limit. You probably have a false air leak. There are a couple of possible sources for false air which are summarized in a pdf I attached here. Unfortunately the pdf is written in german. But it contains a lot of picutres that show where you might find cracked plastic or brittle tubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel trim too rich actually means the engine is running too lean and the DME tries to enrich the mixture but reaches it's limit. You probably have a false air leak. There are a couple of possible sources for false air which are summarized in a pdf I attached here. Unfortunately the pdf is written in german. But it contains a lot of picutres that show where you might find cracked plastic or brittle tubes.
I don't have air leak, i did smoke test twice

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you proceed? Spraying flammable gases on the running engine only leads to applicable results when watching the lambda integrator in INPA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
P1093

Car is 02 530i m54 engine auto
185k miles
I'm getting code P1093 Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Rich Bank 2
The code shows and disappear every couple days
It's been happening for about 4 months
No other codes right now
The car runs and drive smooth and idles fine
I'm getting terrible gas mileage around 16 combined
Here's what i did/replaced so far:
New fuel filter/pressure regulator
New cam shaft position sensor
New pre/post cats o2 sensors (all 4 of them)
New spark plugs
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned ICV
Swapped injectors 123-456
Btw I had other codes before so i did all that to element them, they all gone now expect for p1093
I can't think of anything else to do, any ideas?
Did you fix p1093

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check other forums like e46 fanatic and X post...
I have a same issue... I Did it all...my next step is to change cam sensors and crank sensor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check other forums like e46 fanatic and X post...
I have a same issue... I Did it all...my next step is to change cam sensors and crank sensor.
I already changed cam sensor, don't waste your money on it it's $100
I already checked all forms i can find

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks... I do not have any drivability issue only gas mileage is little off. + SES light is on :mad:

CCV, Catalytic, converter, VANOS... May be reprograming the DME???

I cant think about any thing else???

Look like MANY PEOPLE HAD p1093 EC ... BUT THEY AREN NOT SHARING....:dunno::mad:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If cleaned your MAF doesn't do the trick replace it with a good working one, and don't buy Chinese made.

What is your Long and Short term fuel trims?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Replaced MAF ...Bosch...

p1093 = EC 236 does not go away...
Also I did reset adaptation via INPA...it is coming back after few hundred miles or drive cycle...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Could be air leak and in most cases it comes from ccv valve lines. Smoke test it, check mixture adaptations.
Also check compression on that bank when cold.
Rich mixture can also be triggered by low compression.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts