BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to me E34 1995 525i in beautiful condition. I am sorting through the shortfalls and the first item is the blower is inoperative at all settings. Not reading ahead I started the diagnosis with the basics and not looking for the blower motor or resistor issues I've become aware of since.
I started by checking the fuses and checking for power at the fuse terminal. Which there is non with the key on. So I am working back with the relay one step toward power in the schematic. The relay looks good and is the yellow one that seems to be for European models and not readily available. PN 61361390383 Can anyone confirm that this is the correct part number for my 1995? The RealOEM site does not show a listing that corresponds to the correct layout need for my car and the #13 choice is blanked out as not fitting my VIN. My VIN is: GK54550
I check power at the relay terminal block and have correct responses to 30(2) Power Ket Off, 86(8) Power Key on, 85(4) continuity to ground. I need to check for continuity from 87(6) to F19 but don't have a properly shunted DVOM at home and will check tomorrow at the shop.
Here's where it gets strange. The relay listed above has the spades located so the terminals fit into the wrong slots to make the relay function. The relay holder in the car has the number 2 slot which corresponds to always power toward the front of the car whereas the relay has the spade for that spot 90 degrees clockwise and all the other spades 90 degrees off.
My guess is someone was working on a blower problem and found the relay PN 61361390383 on a thread from a European site and bought and installed it. That there is another relay with the correct configuration that I need.
If anyone can check the number on their relay in the Front Power Distribution Box. It's the relay on top right as looking standing at left front fender looking at the box. Notice how the spades are laid out compared to your holder, please. The brass-looking receptacle is number 2 and always hot and should be 30 on the relay but the way my relay fits the #6 slot would be always hot.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smokeyy,

Thank you for the research. The issue with that relay is it would place 87 in the 12V hot instead of 30, Place 30 to gound, place 85 to key activated 12V, and 85 to power the fuse to the blower selector switch. I could use that relay if I were to reposition the terminals in the relay block so that 30 is 12V hot, 87 goes to fuse block when 86 powers to ground through 85 to complete the 30-87 circuit. It's hard to believe that the last shop was moving around the relay block terminals and so I am looking at that as a last resort not to screw up the next guy.
I've looked for a picture of a 1995 E34 power distribution block with the relays removed to see if the brass terminal is in the same position as mine. That would tell me if someone moved the terminal around. Another important note is that I have checked the terminals for power and ground and the numbers on the relay block coincide with the numbers on the schematic. That tells me that I need to find the correct relay. The one in the car now looks like #13 in the picture you sent from RealOEM. The relay I need would have the #30 spade at one angle and the other three 90 degrees to that.
My other option is to turn 86 and 85 90 degrees allowing the relay to fit without moving any of the positions. That would reverse 86 and 85 functions but still activate the circuit connecting 30 to 87.
Here's a picture of the layout of the relay you sent me.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smokeyy,

Yes, you are correct. I was hung up on polarity (that doesn't matter) and also that the spades were not aligning with the terminals in the relay block. But, I just noticed in the picture that the terminals are meant to fit in either direction 90 degrees one way or the other because there's a cut across the female side of the block terminals.
Tomorrow I'll test the relay I have and expect to find it faulty. I'll lower the 30 amp blower fuse to 20 for safety and replace the relay. You have been a great help and I will report back the results.
Thank you,

Bill

· Registered
E30 325e, E34 535i, E46 330Ci, E60 530i, F10 528i, F10 535d
1,052 Posts
actually the spades only fit one way. You want the spades to connect over a large area, otherwise the contact with burn out due to the electric current going over a small contact area.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
actually the spades only fit one way. You want the spades to connect over a large area, otherwise the contact with burn out due to the electric current going over a small contact area.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smokeyy,

All is good and the blower is fixed. Replaced the 30A fuse with a 20A as suggested in the forum fire prevention thread.

I checked continuity between relay block #6 and Fuse F19 and good prior to replacing the relay.
I tested the old relay and it checked bad (see picture below)
I installed the new relay and the blower works at all speeds.
I opened up the old relay and found a fried diode. (see picture below)
I am not sure what caused the diode failure as that is usually a reverse overvoltage but not important nor worth the 10 cent part. The new relay was just $12.
Once again thank you for getting my mind straight. I had boxed myself in with the schematic number positions.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
For a relay with a diode, polarity is important. You want the diode to not conduct electricity. If you reverse the polarity, then you are putting the diode across 12V and it will destroy the diode and blow the fuse. The relay I recommended does not have the diode so you don't have to worry about the polarity and the schematic in ISTA showed a relay without a diode.

Someone must have put in the wrong relay to cause this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.