BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning to discover a puddle in the rear passenger footwell. We had heavy rain the past 3 days, and I know it had to have leaked in from somewhere. The water goes from the back of the cabin to the front on the passenger side with the rear being soaked and the front being only slightly damp. I have no error messages, however the passenger side Logic7 subwoofer only works for the first 2 minutes you turn on the car and sounds filled with water. The trunk area underneath is 100% dry, as is the driver's side.

I opened up the cabin air filters to find them somehow filled with leaves, even though they were properly secured down. I vacuumed all around the windshield and in the air filters and A/C ducts out. Both sunroof drains are working properly. Does anyone know where the water could be coming in from?

I think what I am going to do is remove the passenger seat, carpeting, and sub. I've been trying to find a DIY on removing the carpet, but can't seem to so I may just wing it and post pictures here. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I woke up this morning to discover a puddle in the rear passenger footwell. We had heavy rain the past 3 days, and I know it had to have leaked in from somewhere. The water goes from the back of the cabin to the front on the passenger side with the rear being soaked and the front being only slightly damp. I have no error messages, however the passenger side Logic7 subwoofer only works for the first 2 minutes you turn on the car and sounds filled with water. The trunk area underneath is 100% dry, as is the driver's side.

I opened up the cabin air filters to find them somehow filled with leaves, even though they were properly secured down. I vacuumed all around the windshield and in the air filters and A/C ducts out. Both sunroof drains are working properly. Does anyone know where the water could be coming in from?

I think what I am going to do is remove the passenger seat, carpeting, and sub. I've been trying to find a DIY on removing the carpet, but can't seem to so I may just wing it and post pictures here. Anyone have any advice?
Check the modules under the spare tire asap make sure there is no water in here and then relocate them. You have to clean out all six drains . The leaf pieces clog the drain tubes and need to be cleaned out .. Especially the front cabin filter drains since you have a build up of leaves under the filters

·
Registered
575 Posts
Check the modules under the spare tire asap make sure there is no water in here and then relocate them. You have to clean out all six drains . The leaf pieces clog the drain tubes and need to be cleaned out .. Especially the front cabin filter drains since you have a build up of leaves under the filters
The vapor barrier sealing behind the door panels is also a common cause.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully, it's completely dry there.

·
Registered
52 Posts

a) Check sunroof drains - i.e. find the pipes and get rid of the restriction at the bottom of it

b) remove your pollen/cabin filters and look around the brake servo - this gets blocked with leaves and water can enter the cabin because just at the level of the brake servo there are a bunch of cables entering the car from the hood. The brake servo is highly prone to being wrecked due to this too! There was at least 2 litres of water in mine!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
a)

look around the brake servo - this gets blocked with leaves and water can enter the cabin because just at the level of the brake servo there are a bunch of cables entering the car from the hood. The brake servo is highly prone to being wrecked due to this too! There was at least 2 litres of water in mine!
Good point I've read a few posts on the European sites of this happening a lot . Leaves can do major damage to our cars ... They get brittle dry and crack into small pieces and clog the drain tubes ..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on car

Just an update on the car. We had heavy rain today and last night, and of course the car flooded once again because I have not yet been able to drain underneath the right cabin air filter yet. I checked underneath both and while the left was completely dry, the right one had water in it, so I know that is where it is leaking in from. Tonight I removed the rear seat, and lifted the carpet in the rear where it is wet (the front stayed dry this time). Underneath the carpet there was about a half inch of standing water, so I took a shop vac to it and placed microfiber cloths underneath of it.

This weekend I plan to:
- Remove the front seat, and door and console trim
-Lift the carpet on the right side of the car
-Vacuum excess water/dry carpet foam padding
- Remove the sub and dry water in it
- Spray all wires and connections with electrical contact cleaner to prevent corrosion
-Drain the duct underneath the right cabin air filter

HOPEFULLY this fixes my problem. I may check behind the right rear door panel to see if the guard came off as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Check the fuse box in the glove compartment . Since that drain is clogged on the passenger side water can get to the fuses . you might want to spray contact cleaner there too , to avoid any rust from starting ..

In order to clean out the drain tube for the cabin filters . Remove the front plastic well covers . The drain tube exits out the fire wall . If remember correctly it has an elbow pointed down ward . Remove the rubber cap , then run some weed wacker wire up the tube and break up the debris and leaf pieces , then get an air nozzle and blow out the drain tube .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took everything up today and have begun the drying process. I got all of the water out of the right sub, and dried up a small pool of water on the passenger side floor. Next I plan on spraying any connections with contact cleaner. I took apart the ebox under the right cabin air filter tray, and while there was no sign of water having filled it, there is a little bit of muddy water sitting in the bottom of it. I really need help now, because I only have 2 days to get the car fixed and back together before I leave for 4 days, as it is supposed to rain while I'm away. Does anyone know where specifically I can check for clogs, and how I can access these areas? Also where is the "bung" everyone talks about for the drain around the ebox?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I can visible see standing water around the outside of the ebox. I read somewhere that to unblock the drains, you have to remove the wheel and wheel well liner, and I do not feel like doing that. Is there any way I can lift the ebox out and clean them that way?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Update: I can visible see standing water around the outside of the ebox. I read somewhere that to unblock the drains, you have to remove the wheel and wheel well liner, and I do not feel like doing that. Is there any way I can lift the ebox out and clean them that way?
You have to get to the end of the drain hose it has a plug on the end that gets clogged .
Its not hard and some thing you must do to fix the water overflow which is why you have water in the cab. Here are a few pics when I cleared out my rear sunroof drains . Same principle on the cabin filter drains . You wont get to the problem by lifting up the ebox. Those rubber caps get clogged with bits of broken dry leaves and dirt and is the cause of the clog. Thats what clogged my drains .. My car is always garaged and my drains still got clogged .

Just remove the wheels and plastic well covers the front drains exit under the the ebox out the fire wall .. Get some weed wacker wire stick it up the drain break up all the crap then blow it out . Then do a water Test to make sure the water flows then your done . Less than two hours to clean the cabin filter drains , and the two rear sun roof drains . The front sunroof drains exit out the door jamb under the top front door hinges . Those rarely get clogged though , just test them to make sure they flow

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts