Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I have a 1985 BMW 325e and when I go to crank car to start my gas gauge acts like it wants to rise and work, as well as my blower motor turning on. They both work when I'm cranking, but once the car starts the blower motor quits working and gas gauge rolls back down. Any help would be appreciated! Also my rpm gauge no longer works! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the gas gauge or blower motor shouldn't even be on or working while I crank. This is the first car I've ever seen that has something electrical turn on while cranking. Usually that interrupts power supply to these modules. Any help would be great thank you!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you have a lot of us scratching our head on this one. I’m guessing, and I mean GUESSING is the ignition switch. Unless the previous owner did some creative wiring. Either way, you need some quality time with the wiring diagrams and a good multi meter. Sorry that I don’t have a magic fix for you!

·
Running life's race...
306 Posts
Hello guys I have a 1985 BMW 325e and when I go to crank car to start my gas gauge acts like it wants to rise and work, as well as my blower motor turning on. They both work when I'm cranking, but once the car starts the blower motor quits working and gas gauge rolls back down. Any help would be appreciated! Also my rpm gauge no longer works! Thanks guys!
See if this helps. It worked on my 91 318i that showed similar symptoms to yours:

Had no gauges except speedometer, no blower, no reverse lights, blown fuse 10. On another BMW forum, someone mentioned pulling the K5/K7 unloader relays, and a new fuse 10 held. Subbed in some salvage yard relays with good results, and the blower motor works again as well.

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
start by looking throught this link, comparing the wiring diagrams for the two systems and see what are common fuses/earths/connectors. then check what else is on those fuses earths connectors and see if those things work too (youll probably know of other issues in your head once you read and jogs your memory)

it is a large file so dont open on data on your phone !!

http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/e30_89.pdf

also, yes, the E30 does have a drop out relay in the fusebox to disable all but the most important curcuits while cranking.
i have never come across the relay itself failing (yet), but check that. its more likely to be the wiring to the back of the starter motor is old and crusty and crumbling, or perhaps has been put on the wrong terminal of the starter after perhaps a starter change or clutch/gearbox change etc. check here first if your power windows only open when the car door is open but not when they are closed.

hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts