BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I dont know how but my security system has locked me out. It says I need to input a code before I can start the car. I have no idea what the code is. Is there anyway to get around this or reset it so I can start it??

Chad

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
How did it happen? Where did it ask for a code? Did you try to start your car? More details please.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
um.... how?????? you're suppose to put the code in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been having electrical issues for the past month and it is scheduled to go into the dealership tomorrow. I am not sure what happend but the immobilization code some how was activated. Now when I go to start the car I get a different kind of bell sound from the usual seat belt one. A display then appears saying code. I looked in the manual and it apparently is asking for a 4 digit security code before it will allow the car to start. I have never used this function before and never put in a code. I have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i'm not sure how u set it w/o noticing, but u have a few different options. try simple codes (0000, 1234...) i think after 3 failed attempts it locks u out for 1/2 hour tho.

or u can try disconnecting the battery for a while and attempting to let the whole system reset?

other than that, i can only suggest going to the dealership

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man. I know it sounds crazy. But I seriously never touched the thing. Didnt even know it existed until now. The battery is disconnected as we speak I hope that helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disconnecting the battery didnt work. Guess I'm SOL.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
no you will have to call the dealer for the code. also try looking at some of the little cards that may have come in the poch thing with your manual. this is something diff. but when we work on honda's that have an antitheft radio we have to enter in a code to get the radio working, sometimes we have to call the dealer. so have all info. present with you, vin #. don't be suprised if you get a hard time

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is a way to rest the code by disconeccting the battery and then waiting for a certain period of time (i think 30 min - but I'm not sure). There is a feature in BC that allows you to program a code that would be required to start the car (useful if your smartA** friends find your key laying around and think they can take your car for a ride - not so fast!) However, if you forget the code you set, then you have to go through a resent procedure involving battery diconnect and waiting. This is all in the mannual for 2001-2003 e39 with BC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help guys. Dealership unlocked it. Just cost me a $200 to get it there!

Chad

·
Banned
158 Posts
security code

I was messing with my "BC" computer yesterday . RE: average speed, MPG, Range, etc. There is an option to set a security code to disable the car. I did not touch that. Thank God! Maybe you did it accidently? Were you or anyone else messing with the on board computer?
I don't have the original program book If you do, look in there, or see if anyone else has it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure how it got set. I am the only that is ever in my car. It was a huge pain in the ass. The dealership said they got into my car by pushing 11 for the code. They didn't have any previous security codes listed for the car so they just started doing trial and error. Guess they got lucky! Haha I looked in the program book to see if there was a way to reset the security code and all it said was ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR CODE, in bold letters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts