Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 E90 330i and I'm thinking about upgrading the standard 17" rims to something new. I'm trying to decide between 18" rims and 19" rims. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how this will affect the ride comfort, road noise, etc.

My current setup uses run flats, which as we know are much stiffer than regular tires, so I'm actually wondering if an 18" rim with a regular low profile tire will actually make less noise and be less of a hard ride. The 19" rims look great...but I'm concerned about damage, safety and comfort...

These are the rims I'm looking at:
18": http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bmw-e46-wheels006
19": http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bmw-e46-wheels005

Does anyone have advice on what offset to use on the E90? Staggered vs non-staggered, etc. I'm looking for the safest option, but still want the car to look great.

On the 19s I'll use a 235/35/19 (front) and 265/30/19 (rear) tire - assuming I do a staggered setup. (235/35/19 all around for non-staggered).

On the 18s I'll use a 225/40/18 (front) and 255/35/18 (rear) tire - assuming I do a staggered setup. (225/40/18 all around for non-staggered).

Any feedback on these setups would be very much appreciated as I'm completely new to this and don't want to make a bad choice. Are my tire sizes good? Any advice on the offset and staggered vs. non-staggered option would also be great...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller?... anyone?... anyone? :) Some input/help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Matt_330i said:
Bueller?... anyone?... anyone? :) Some input/help would really be appreciated.
I would stick with 18s. e90 330 sports come with 18s so you should be safe there. They are also fairly low profile tire but leaving enough room for error. The tires are very expensive to replace if you get a flat, and the 19s are even more expensive than the 18s which I'm sure you already know.

I had 18s on my previous e46 and they worked well. What I did was just search online for e90's that people of upgraded the wheels and see how they look with different sizes. Usually when people post pics of their upgrades, they will describe what exactly they got so you can get a feel for the size, offset etc...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I'm wondering is how much the extra inch (19 vs 18) affects noise and ride comfort. When I look at the rims online, both sets look sharp...

The other thing to consider is that I live in Houston, TX - which is basically pothole city. There are cracks, bumps, potholes, etc. in every street. So, maybe the 18's would be the safer option.

Thanks,
Matt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an e90 330i with the sport package (18" wheels). Can't say I notice any road noise from them... unless I'm going over railroad tracks too fast, or I clip a pot hole at high speed. Then it pretty much sound like there was a small explosion under the car.

19" might not have enough clearance, but either Tire Rack should be able to help you, or go to a local "pimp" shop and ask them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Matt, According to your link, those rims don´t seem to fit the E90 do they?

Fits:
All E46, Z3, Z4, X3, X5 vehicles.

:slap: :)

·
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3
1,562 Posts
Matt_330i said:
I have a 2006 E90 330i and I'm thinking about upgrading the standard 17" rims to something new. I'm trying to decide between 18" rims and 19" rims. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on how this will affect the ride comfort, road noise, etc.

My current setup uses run flats, which as we know are much stiffer than regular tires, so I'm actually wondering if an 18" rim with a regular low profile tire will actually make less noise and be less of a hard ride. The 19" rims look great...but I'm concerned about damage, safety and comfort...

These are the rims I'm looking at:
18": http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bmw-e46-wheels006
19": http://www.modbargains.com/product.asp?pf_id=bmw-e46-wheels005

Does anyone have advice on what offset to use on the E90? Staggered vs non-staggered, etc. I'm looking for the safest option, but still want the car to look great.

On the 19s I'll use a 235/35/19 (front) and 265/30/19 (rear) tire - assuming I do a staggered setup. (235/35/19 all around for non-staggered).

On the 18s I'll use a 225/40/18 (front) and 255/35/18 (rear) tire - assuming I do a staggered setup. (225/40/18 all around for non-staggered).

Any feedback on these setups would be very much appreciated as I'm completely new to this and don't want to make a bad choice. Are my tire sizes good? Any advice on the offset and staggered vs. non-staggered option would also be great...

Thanks in advance...
this guy execution did his 19" staggered setup with great success, bcoz Im never have been a 19" advocate. look at our E90 meet thread and maybe PM him on tire and wheel sizes. But I do know that his rears wear 9-9.5 wide and the fronts were 8-8.5 wide, non standard wheels with the same 5x120 offsets.
heres our thread, his car was the car of the meet!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10977&page=3&pp=22

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tire noise and ride comfort really have more to do with the tire than the size of the wheel .... within reason. If you're going from a 40 series tire down to a 20 series, but 40 to 35, or 35 to 30, you won't notice much difference.

The reason most people associate a harsh ride with going to bigger wheels is because they buy cheap mega heavy cast wheels. The suspension's only designed with a range of unsprung weight that it can keep up with ... once you start getting really heavy wheels (and keep in mind lower profile tires are usually heavier because the sidewall has to be stiffer) and tires it overwhelms the spring and damper and you get a harsh ride. That and the stiffer sidewalls transmit more; but again, if you're not going too crazy you won't notice much.

The complaints against RFTs riding rough, are both the stiffer sidewalls, and they're a lot heavier than standard tires. Hence the, "e90 supension was tuned for RFTs".

If you do end up buying new wheels, save your money and get some really light forged wheels. Not only will they ride better, but you'll notice better acceleration and better braking than the heavy oem cast wheels.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wheels I'm considering are 24lbs each. Is that heavy?

·
Registered
40 Posts
New BMW owner, looking for some advice on wheels/tires. What exactly does a staggered setup do?? What kind of visual effect is it supposed to have??

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts