BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E46 pro and cons!!! Give them to me please. I need to know. ASAP!!! Please let me know what you all like about it and what you don't like about it. Any problems that are common on them. Fuel economy, the whole package. PLease! Thanks!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Don`t be so F`n lazy....you`ve been here long enough to know what the WIKI is, so *read it*! It will answer 95% of your questions....when you finish with it, *then* we`ll discuss the other 5%....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done alot of research. I just wanna know what the first hand expierence is from the people who own and drive this car everyday. I don't want a car critic's opinion on it. I'm pretty familiar with all bimmers. But I haven't actually driven an e46. I wanna know the driver's expierence of it.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I have done alot of research. I just wanna know what the first hand expierence is from the people who own and drive this car everyday. I don't want a car critic's opinion on it. I'm pretty familiar with all bimmers. But I haven't actually driven an e46. I wanna know the driver's expierence of it.
The wiki isn't written by car critics (most of it is written by me with the input of many), and neither are other posts here that can be found by searching...

Pros and cons are more of a personal thing. I like smaller sedans, so it's a pro for me.. but for someone with a family, the small size may be a con (for example). Wiki covers common failure points. Gas mileage threads are all over the place, but can be 18-33mpg and very much depends on how you drive it.

What are you comparing it to? That may help us help you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 540

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
In my opinion the e46 is simply more fun to drive than e39 540 except in a straight line. But don't our word for it. Go test drive one today. I routinely check out car listings and go and test drive them. It's also a good opportunity to have conversations with other e46 owners and they can discuss what they like about the car. An M3 owner that lived a few blocks from me showed me a great place to do +100mph at virtually any time of the day without fear of being pulled over.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I had planned on test driving one soon. What about the 330ic compaired to the 540. Has anyone driven them both. I know the 540 is an absolute monster in a straight line. How quick is the 330 coupe in a straight line? It is probably somewhat close. I'm sure the 540 will probably a little faster. espically at higher rpms. but I've only driven a 325i sedan and that's not really much of a comparrision.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Thanks guys. I had planned on test driving one soon. What about the 330ic compaired to the 540. Has anyone driven them both. I know the 540 is an absolute monster in a straight line. How quick is the 330 coupe in a straight line? It is probably somewhat close. I'm sure the 540 will probably a little faster. espically at higher rpms. but I've only driven a 325i sedan and that's not really much of a comparrision.
330 is very close in 0-60 & 1/4 mile time to the 540... as the speeds increase, so does the lead a 540 takes. The 540 will feel faster throughout because of its torque.

Coupe and sedans are the same weight/speed, by the way.

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Coupe and sedans are the same weight/speed, by the way.
Really? When I was looking up the 0-60 times of the coupes vs the sedans I notice all the coupes were faster ranging from a difference of .2 seconds to .8 seconds. Are the numbers wrong?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Really? When I was looking up the 0-60 times of the coupes vs the sedans I notice all the coupes were faster ranging from a difference of .2 seconds to .8 seconds. Are the numbers wrong?
Yes. Simple test variances. Run any two coupes or sedans back-to-back and you'll find those sort of differences.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
If/when you test-drive a 330, don`t let it`s flat torque curve fool you into thinking that the car is`nt fast....look at the speedometer....getting it up to 85-90 is deceptively easy and quick. Your 540 has a lot more low-end grunt, so it`s gonna be a different seat-of-the-pants feel, but the speedo does`nt lie....

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
but the speedo does`nt lie....
Well, I hate to disagree with a gentleman such as yourself Bob, but BMW speedo's are notoriously innacurate. That said I know what you meant. My brother in law has a 540 6 speed and it isn't all that much faster than my bosses 6 speed ZHP...I didn't believe Kris when he said the same thing about the 540 (mistake) and did a little "research" if you catch my drift.....:drive:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Well, I hate to disagree with a gentleman such as yourself Bob, but BMW speedo's are notoriously innacurate. That said I know what you meant. My brother in law has a 540 6 speed and it isn't all that much faster than my bosses 6 speed ZHP...I didn't believe Kris when he said the same thing about the 540 (mistake) and did a little "research" if you catch my drift.....:drive:
I love that kind of "research".... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts