BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my E46 320d touring (2001) for about five months with no hassles what so ever. However, the other day I stopped at a garage but when I came back to the car and unlocked it the key would not start the ignition but all the lectrical systems worked fine (felt like the immobiliser had cut in). After much faffing about we got the car started after cleaning the key, can't be sure this actually fixed it.

The problem has manifested itself again and both programmable keys will open the car but will not start it ... I've had to resort to carrying the simple garage key (grey one) for the moment since this is the only key which will start the car.

The really weird thing is if I start the car with the grey key, then stop the car and take it out I can start the car with the programmable key.

If anyone has any clues as to what is happening I'd be grateful as I'd rather avoid steep bills just to get the garage to investigate ... I'd rather just pay them to fix it :)

I wondering whether there might be a problem with the keys themselves or that their is an earthing problem in the ignition switch.

Many thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Hi Andy,

Wild guess here -- battery in the key?

Otherwise, I think there's nothing for it but to pay the man... :eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Had the same thing with my 330 - stopped to deposit a cheque and when I tried to start the car 5 minutes later, electrics all came on but the car wouldn't turn over. Kept trying it and whacking the clutch, thinking maybe the interlock wasn't disengaging. After about 5 minutes it decided to turn over and started normally. Weirdness. Did not try cleaning the key or anything like that, so that was not the issue in my case.

andy h UK said:
I've had my E46 320d touring (2001) for about five months with no hassles what so ever. However, the other day I stopped at a garage but when I came back to the car and unlocked it the key would not start the ignition but all the lectrical systems worked fine (felt like the immobiliser had cut in). After much faffing about we got the car started after cleaning the key, can't be sure this actually fixed it.

The problem has manifested itself again and both programmable keys will open the car but will not start it ... I've had to resort to carrying the simple garage key (grey one) for the moment since this is the only key which will start the car.

The really weird thing is if I start the car with the grey key, then stop the car and take it out I can start the car with the programmable key.

If anyone has any clues as to what is happening I'd be grateful as I'd rather avoid steep bills just to get the garage to investigate ... I'd rather just pay them to fix it :)

I wondering whether there might be a problem with the keys themselves or that their is an earthing problem in the ignition switch.

Many thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
E46 Keys

I have just got a new key from the dealer for my E46 04. Both the original keys work fine, this new key unlocks the doors (remote) and will turn the ignition but the car does not turn over.

If I start the car with the other keys then retry the new key the car starts normally until I get out and lock the doors then the process repeats.

I assume this is because the immobiliser does not recognise the new key but once disarmed with the old etc etc.

Does anybody out there know how to program the new key into the immobiliser memory?

The new key is identical to the old ones but it does have a different number, does this matter? :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts