BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post on bimmerfest, I've owned my 2002 E46 330D Sport for 4 years and have had almost no problems. In the last week though some dashboard lights have come on, I've had the fault codes read but neither myself nor the mechanic are any the wiser!

Both the DSC and parking brake lights are constantly yellow, and the system gives a warning chirp when you set off. The DSC is not working and although I haven't tested the ABS I'm pretty sure that's not working also.

The mechanic has flushed and replaced the brake fluid, checked and cleaned the ABS ECU and tried a new DSC sensor (apparently under the passenger seat). He has also checked and cleaned the contacts to the ABS ECU. None of this has made any difference to the fault.

I have a list of the fault codes which the ECU has logged, which are:

5E5D
5D99 DSC sensor CAN fault
5D8C DSC sensor CAN timeout

I've been told that it might be a wiring issue but I'm not sure this is the case, no work has been carried out on the car recently that could have caused it. I was told that the old brake fluid was quite contaminated, not sure whether this is related or not.

Any info would be welcomed, at the moment I'm considering taking it to the stealership but at over £100 per hour it's not going to take long for the repair to cost more than the car is worth!

Thanks in advance

G

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
I would start by reading the wheel speed sensors with a DMM & a sandpapered paper clip:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)

· Registered
18 Posts
#1 - DSC-5D97 Voltage Supply #2 - DSC-5D8C Sensor CAN Timeout

#1 - DSC-5D97 Voltage Supply #2 - DSC-5D8C Sensor CAN Timeout

These errors occurred on my 2004 Mini Cooper for one of 2 reasons that I rectified at the same time, so worth checking both. Remove the housing around the handbrake cover, one visible screw and then ease away each side toward the seats to unclip. Below this and behind the handbrake lever is the Sensor Cluster. My connector was loose and clicked back on. (Was still attached so may not have been the issue). The wiring however to the sensor cluster runs back towards the dash past the handbrake lever. Towards the front, the wire had chaffed against the handbrake and copper wire was exposed on two of the wires, which may well have been shorting against the handbrake when it was down. Some electrical tape to cover and reinforce the cable, plus an erase of the error codes in INPA and the problem hasn't returned. Cheap(free) fix!

· Registered
1 Posts
Great post solving a devious problem

Had the same issue going on my 2005 Mini S. The handbrake lever has been scraping away at the wiring passing through the console for years, and your post saved me much time on the diagnosis and fix! Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.