BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Grinning from ear to ear
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Nokia 6230. It's a great phone. However it isn't fully compatible with my 330's bluetooth. The dealer tried it on 2 cars, and since it's not on their "recommended list" they don't want to mess with it. I've heard it's supposed to work though. First of all, has anyone gotten this to work? If so how? Please I'm at wits end.

My other alternative is to return it and get a new phone. I just signed up for Cingular, so I think I'm tied to them. I'm looking for recommendations for a good phone that works with the bluetooth (people with actual experience please). Obviously the Razr is a great phone - It's just a little expensive (about 139.99 after rebates on Amazon). Any other recommendations, or reasons why I absolutely should spend the money on the Razr?

Thanks so much - this community has been a lifesaver in the past. And please no replies with "search" . I've already looked - too much scattered info. I really want a post focused on these particular questions. (Yes that means you opperknockity lol).

· Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,523 Posts
When you say that your phone is not fully compatible what do you really mean? :dunno:

I have a Nokia 3660 that I got when I ordered the car and knew that I would ahead an install BT. I though that BT was BT. What did I know?

My phone connects with my car using the headset profile which mean it does not download the phone addressbook into the car. I have solved that problem to an extent by programming the most used numbers into the voice recognition module. Oh I just remembered that is not part of the 05 BT set up. :( My friends get amused when I talk to my car and tell it to dial by name or when I tell it the number to dial. :bigpimp:

P.S. I guess one of your options is to add the Voice recognition module. Unfortunately it is pricey at $350. I paid $410 for the BT kit that included the Voice recognition module. :confused:

2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LDV330i said:
When you say that your phone is not fully compatible what do you really mean? :dunno:
By not compatible I mean I have to physically use the phone itself to initiate/end a call. It will play all sounds through the car's speakers, but I cannot dial or hangup via the steering wheel or the Nav system. I have tried everything, every possible combination that I can think of - nothign works.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
More 6230 info

Have you seen this from the X3world / X5world web sites:

The phone pairs and works with calls and SMS. There may be an issue with address book compatibility.
Address book issues reported to be resolved if the phone is upgraded to SW release 5.24
Also, be patient and allow lots of time for the first address book transfer.

URL: http://www.x5world.com/html.php?file=bmw_bt_phones.htm

2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
b-y said:
Have you seen this from the X3world / X5world web sites:
Also, be patient and allow lots of time for the first address book transfer.
URL: http://www.x5world.com/html.php?file=bmw_bt_phones.htm
Yes, that's precisely why I bought the phone. This site implied the phone would work - so I bought it. I'm not upset about the address book not loading (which is what the web site complained about). I'm upset about the system not being able to dial or hangup. Without that function, bluetooth is almost worthless.

Can anyone here with a Nokia 6230 verify that they got it to work? I really would like to keep the phone. And yes, it's the Bluetooth that comes with the BMW Assist in the car, not the aftermarket setup.

· Registered
6,523 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Yes, that's precisely why I bought the phone. This site implied the phone would work - so I bought it. I'm not upset about the address book not loading (which is what the web site complained about). I'm upset about the system not being able to dial or hangup. Without that function, bluetooth is almost worthless.

Can anyone here with a Nokia 6230 verify that they got it to work? I really would like to keep the phone. And yes, it's the Bluetooth that comes with the BMW Assist in the car, not the aftermarket setup.
Well that is just like mine. Though I can use the steering button to answer an incoming call and to hang up. Call needs to be dialed from phone or via voice command module.

When you phone pairs up are you getting a headset icon in your phone display? If that is the case you never going to get full functionality because the phone is using the BT headphone profile. So in a sense your car only acts a giant size headphone under that mode.

The Nokia USA website states:
The Nokia 6230 phone is designed to meet Bluetooth Specification 1.1, Handsfree Audio and Object Push Data profiles. To ensure compatibility with other Bluetooth devices, check with the device manufacturer.
I believe you phone your phone is connecting using the headset profile though it supports the handsfree profile. You need to change your settings. Go to SETTINGS> ENHANCEMENT SETTINGS> HEADSET, HANDSFREE, LOOPSET, TTY/TTD, MUSIC STAND, or CHARGER. Select HANDSFREE and follow the intructions.

If the above works then you can buy me a beer tomorrow. :D

· There and back again
2,623 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
My other alternative is to return it and get a new phone. I just signed up for Cingular, so I think I'm tied to them. I'm looking for recommendations for a good phone that works with the bluetooth (people with actual experience please). Obviously the Razr is a great phone - It's just a little expensive (about 139.99 after rebates on Amazon). Any other recommendations, or reasons why I absolutely should spend the money on the Razr?
If you are less than 30 days into your contract with Cingular, they will let you out of your contract w/ no early termination fee. If you bought your phone somewhere else, you may still have some fees for returning the phone.

I have a RAZR in my 2003 wagon (w/ BMW ULF). It works fine (everything but SMS) on the NAV screen. I'm quite pleased with the RAZR.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, First post but an avid reader of this fantastic website!

The Nokia 6230 is now fully compatible with BMW Bluetooth... you just have to have the correct version of firmware in your phone, by typing *#0000# you will get the current firmware version displayed on your phone. The version which is fully compatible (yes it transfers the phonebook as well) is v05.24 which your local Nokia service centre should be more than happy to upgrade for free (assuming the phone is still under manufacturers warranty)

I hope that this is helpful as I pulled my hair out with this problem.

· Newbie BMW Owner
144 Posts
dufferuk said:
Hi All, First post but an avid reader of this fantastic website!

The Nokia 6230 is now fully compatible with BMW Bluetooth... you just have to have the correct version of firmware in your phone, by typing *#0000# you will get the current firmware version displayed on your phone. The version which is fully compatible (yes it transfers the phonebook as well) is v05.24 which your local Nokia service centre should be more than happy to upgrade for free (assuming the phone is still under manufacturers warranty)

I hope that this is helpful as I pulled my hair out with this problem.
just know that most likely, your 6230 is actually a 6230b, since you live in the US i am assuming this. if it's a 6230b, nokia's not going to upgrade it for you...trust me, i just sent them mine and got a nice note back with it explaing that the nokia 6230 is a european phone, and the 5.24 firmware won't work on the 6230b, the us version of that phone. my 6230b works llike crap with the bluetooth in my '05 325i. For the most part, it works somewhat. But normally, when i try to make a call with it, it says it's connected to the car, and it seems like the audio is routed to the car, but the audio is not playing out of the speakers like it should be. so i normally click a button on my phone to direct audio to the internal speaker, and then after about a minute the car picks up the conversation and works like it should. Then, when the call is over, the car will not release the cell phone and i have to manually disconnect the phone so that i can listen to my radio again..

in the end, i'm looking to get rid of my 6230b now. it's a shame too, cause it's a kick ass phone otherwise.

2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are exactly right. The US version can't get the upgrade. In fact when I spoke to Nokia, they had no idea there was a new release of the software at all. Looks like my phone is going back (and it's such a rockin phone too!). Oh well, I might have to spend money and get the RAZR, or go with the Siemans or Sony/Ericson models. Too bad I really did like the nokia - stupid bluetooth!! :mad:

cambie said:
just know that most likely, your 6230 is actually a 6230b, since you live in the US i am assuming this. if it's a 6230b, nokia's not going to upgrade it for you...trust me, i just sent them mine and got a nice note back with it explaing that the nokia 6230 is a european phone, and the 5.24 firmware won't work on the 6230b, the us version of that phone. my 6230b works llike crap with the bluetooth in my '05 325i. For the most part, it works somewhat. But normally, when i try to make a call with it, it says it's connected to the car, and it seems like the audio is routed to the car, but the audio is not playing out of the speakers like it should be. so i normally click a button on my phone to direct audio to the internal speaker, and then after about a minute the car picks up the conversation and works like it should. Then, when the call is over, the car will not release the cell phone and i have to manually disconnect the phone so that i can listen to my radio again..

in the end, i'm looking to get rid of my 6230b now. it's a shame too, cause it's a kick ass phone otherwise.

· Registered
6,523 Posts
Some phone companies have been accused of partially disableing BT. The do not want you to tranfer your pictures/videos directly to your computer. Since their rate structure is to charge per photo e-mailed they do not want you transfering it for free via BT. The only company does not charge extra for e-mailing pictures/video is T-Mobile. :thumbup: So the manufacturer may list a phone as being fully compatible with BT standards it does not mean that a particular carrier's version is. See this comment on the Motorola V710 found here:

Con:

1. Verizon essentially diabled the bluetooth features so that only a headset is bluetooth enabled. Verizon's reasons is that this being a gray area between carriers, phone makers and the entertainment industry, they're going to play it safe.

2. Worse, they also disabled the multi-media functions of Motorola Phone Tools so you can't do a file transfer. So you can forget that route.
Here is an article on Verizon being sued for disabling bluetooth functionality in its cell phones.

· meroglot
13,228 Posts
You don't have to swithc carriers. Just find the phone that works best, and buy an unlocked version. The best bet is Motorola because they are mostly quad-band. I have a 6230 and I love it, but I also have a V600 that works well on Cingulars network.

· mmm... carbs!
3,111 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Speedy how do oyu like the Sony Ericson model?
I've tried a variety of phones (I'm a junkie) and I like this the best. I even have a V600 that I could use, but the T637 is just more functional. The Moto phone has a software sticky key effect as well as some other buggy behavior. I've also noticed that when BT is activated, the battery drains rather quickly.

The T637 is quite light and compact, yet sturdy in the hand. The BT implementation is very good, battery life is good with BT enabled, and the screen is bright and sharp. I also like that the various phone numbers (home, cell, busines...) are grouped under each contact. I also like that there is no antenna to get hung up in your pocket. The V600 has one, and it can be a pain if you pocket your phone. Another plus for the T637 is that that it is pretty cheap these days - I think $100 at Cingular.

You can check it out if you are going to be at the Austin get together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.