BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience removing the motor that raises and lowers the top (not the one that raises and lowers the boot cover. I have it loose except for the "S" hook that is attached to the top of the motor with an allen bolt. Can get the motor out without detaching the large stamped metal part that pushes and pull the back portion of the top.

If you have messed with one these I hope my poor description is adequate to explain my problem. The manual I have has pathetic instructions that I can summarize as "remove bolts and disconnect modular plugs."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Mark:
I think if you try the bimmerforum.com site under the E36 section convertible sub section you can find a lot of information right up front. However you will need to register to do the search at the site. I recall seeing this with I think a few pictures. You can also post that question there as well. I like this forum and that one as well but for convertibles there is simply more information located there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have experience removing the motor that raises and lowers the top (not the one that raises and lowers the boot cover. I have it loose except for the "S" hook that is attached to the top of the motor with an allen bolt. Can get the motor out without detaching the large stamped metal part that pushes and pull the back portion of the top.

If you have messed with one these I hope my poor description is adequate to explain my problem. The manual I have has pathetic instructions that I can summarize as "remove bolts and disconnect modular plugs."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Did you get this out? I'm stuck at the same place. The allen bolt won't loosen. In the diagram here, it's the third to last box, and there's an arrow pointing out at the screw that won't turn.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/00/33/93

·
Registered
640 Posts
Couldn't get my screw to turn either and head is faily soft and allen wrench started to round it out . Maybe one could make up a way to fit the allen head to a hammer type impact tool. I have loosened some really tough screws and bolts with this tool as the hammer pressure really helps to keep from rounding the screw head and the shock seems to help loosen the fitting. I really don't have a need to remove this bolt, just wanted to get the linkage off as I manually operate the top so I have not tried the impact thing but maybe it will work for you guys. I wired up a switch to open and close the boot cover so no to hassle with a power top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts