BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys --

I procrastinated in prepping and now am scrambling a day before a snow trip. I have a X5 xDrive but given the snowfall in Mammoth, I'd like to be prepared with cables/chains. After a quick visit to O'Reilleys / Pepboys, I was informed that due to the size of the tire and rim (255/50R19), they wouldn't advise me purchasing their stock chains as it would scratch the rim.

In addition, they insisted that I need to buy 4 chains and not two as it would damage the AWD transmission. Is this accurate?

Has anyone had experience buying stock chains/cables and not having issues with it damaging the rims? Any last minute suggestions as to where I can pick up an appropriate set last minute?

Thank you in advance..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Assuming your X5 is x-drive and you have AS tires you are not required to have chains per CA DOT. If this is not the case I would try tire socks instead of chains or cables to prevent any kind of damage due to improper install.

·
Vendor
616 Posts
It's not ideal on the transmission but I doubt it would have any significant effects unless you are driving long distances with them on. That being said, four will definitely be much better than two traction wise. But I second the tire socks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts