BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was driving and I received this error code: Steering!

The error message displays something like this: Loss of steering fluid or hydraulic system. Please contact BMW Roadside assistance

The steering appears to be fine.

What is wrong? My car just ran out of warranty in July.

745i sports package
100,3,000 Miles

·
Registered
298 Posts
1st - pull out your owners manual if you don't know where the power steering fluid reservoir is. Check the PS fluid level and see if it is low, if it is put more in and check for signs of leaks - garage floor - wet underbelly.... Don't drive the car extensively without checking the fluid level 1st as driving with low fluid can cause damage - I would also check brake fluid while your under the hood as it will go down as the brake pads wear and the pistons move further out to displace the worn pad. Brake and steering are not tied together and use very different fluids but checking them is a good idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bimmer745LI

I will check and buy some. Is there any special BMW steering fluid or can i just get any and mix with the existing one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried looking up my manaul to see where the steering fluid resevoir is but can't find it in there?

Does anyone know where its located?

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yep - BMW doesn't seem to think owners can handle servicing the Hydraulic PS fluid - it uses a special fluid you can purchase - Pentosin CHF11S - but I'd go to the dealer and just bite the bullet and buy it over the counter at their parts dept. and have the parts or service advisor come out and show you the reservoir. If you get the warning constantly then you may not want to drive it - if it just came on a cold start then you might just be a bit low and safe to drive. Hope your dealer isn't too far...you have a leak perhaps slow perhaps not so can't give you much advise other than after you top it off monitor it and see if it goes down quickly. It could be as minor as a loose hose clamp/fitting to a leaky hose to as major as PS rack...finding a good BMW tech you can trust will give you piece of mind your doing as you should and not being bent over by the stealer...some dealers are good just sometimes hard to find...shout out to some of your local BMW enthusiasts might give you a direction to go in if it is a significant leak.

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
The power steering fluid reservoir is to the right of the engine when you are standing in front of the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
isnt it funny how everything starts to happen as soon as warranty runs out?

not funny, sad really...
Dude that is no lie...and if you think about it, it is total BS for a vehicle that was $80k + when it sold brand new. You have vehicles that sell from $15-$20k brand new that are far more reliable and last longer. That is why I believe the other guy when he says these cars are built to fail. Again, I am more confident when I drive my 95 MITSUBISHI GALANT than when I drive my BMW 745 and that is way out of line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that same problelm i must have a leak somewhere i have to add chf11 about every month. where do you think the leak is?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts