BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im new here so I hope you guys are able to help me out.

I inspected a BMW 3 series 2004 E46 sport version last night and test drive it. The owner is desperate to sell it as she is moving interstate.

The seller and me chatted about the car and she said that service was done regularly and next is due about 50 000. Everything went well with the car until I requested it service manual. The car is currently have done 44 000 kms. However, according to the service manual it has only done a routine service at 20 000km.

My question is, will this still be a good buy? How often should the car be serviced and at what mileage intervals?

I dont want to splurge 40 000 on something that will give me major headache and hole in the wallet. Feedbacks and advice would be very much welcome as I am still vey inexperienced. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
888 Posts
look at my previous post about the service intervals and list of all the works done on my 330ci with 79000 miles.

you aren't lacking much maintenance at all.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
Hi guys, Im new here so I hope you guys are able to help me out.

I inspected a BMW 3 series 2004 E46 sport version last night and test drive it. The owner is desperate to sell it as she is moving interstate.

The seller and me chatted about the car and she said that service was done regularly and next is due about 50 000. Everything went well with the car until I requested it service manual. The car is currently have done 44 000 kms. However, according to the service manual it has only done a routine service at 20 000km.

My question is, will this still be a good buy? How often should the car be serviced and at what mileage intervals?

I dont want to splurge 40 000 on something that will give me major headache and hole in the wallet. Feedbacks and advice would be very much welcome as I am still vey inexperienced. Thanks in advance!
Not sure this applies to the Oz market, but here in the US, about a dozen or so years ago, BMWNA (North America) initiated a plan whereby all "routine" maintainance would be paid for by the company, up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever came first. At this time, all "routine" services (oil changes, etc.) were mysteriously extended to intervals which would have previously been referred to as "insane" by knowledgeable car guys (and girls). The result of this program is that MANY BMWs routinely go 15 to 20 thousand miles on an oil change, transmission and differential lubes are now referred to as "lifetime fluids", and NEVER get changed, etc.
So, cutting to the chase, I`m not really shocked to hear that your car`s service history looks a little sparse....that`s just how things are if you stick to "The Program". If you really like this car, pay a GOOD independent tech to look it over closely....if he gives it a clean bill of health, buy it. Good luck!

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for replying to my first post. Hmmm..I asked a couple of frens who are car freaks and they insisted not to purchase it but I guess I should get more opinions from BMW users....so you guys reckon it is a great buy?

Anyone users here from Melbourne that knows any expert that I can hire to look at the car with me? Hmmm....

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Bring the car to the dealer pay the 200 bucks and have them look over the car and bring the service up to date, as long as the oil was changed there isnt much servicing between 20-45k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys I need your help again.

I just did a thorough inspection last night and managed to find a few major problems.

1. There were black oil leaking from the middle of the engine where there is a round device. Im not sure what it is.

2. There were white smoke and water coming out of the exhaust when I rev the engine.

3. The black oil is black, murky and thick.

4. The coolant level is so low I cant see the level through the hole but the seller claim the warning light is not flashing so it isnt low.

The car has only been serviced at 20,000 kms. And now it is 44,000 kms.

Any suggestion what could be the problem would be appreciated. The seller will not fix anything as he said the next service is due 50,000 kms.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Uhh it sounds like a big piece of $hit, with a blown head gasket, Run or offer 5 dollars. Thats not a car you want.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
yeas a blown head gasket will pruduce white smoke, its very expensive to fix and can really mess up the engine. that round piece appears to be your oil filter housing. I would not buy that car. Any car that smokes is usually for sale for a reason. :thumbdwn:

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Hahhaa...does a blown head gasket produces white smoke and water ?

How bout the oil leak? Take a look at the second picture at the URL below. The oil leak is at the round device.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272194&highlight=oil+leaking
P/S hose (err, power steering resevoir) and resevoir is leaking. This is very common and it leaks right onto your alternator and can kill that too. (dont ask me how I know). It cost me $700 to get all that fixed (including a new alternator). The hoses and labor should run you about $300 USD (not sure what that is in kangaroo cash?....

White smoke doesnt mean head gasket it CAN mean that. Could be a fouled plug or bad coil pack (also common and not that expensive maybe $150)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm my seller just sent it off to repair and he claims that it is the oil filter cap was just loose and he tighten it up.

And the white smoke and water its because of the cold weather now.

Hmmm i have only one more day to make up my mind...

Headache..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts